thirty-three.

sinai sipped on her coffee as she watched coco waggling her tail as she played with jimin. the beagle had been timid with anyone else, but when it came to the blonde, she had no problem adjusting to him.

extending his arms, jimin successfully got coco to throw herself at him. he picked her up, petting her head before throwing the small ball they had been playing with somewhere else so she could fetch it. this gave him an opportunity to finally sit down at the table next to sinai.

"new shirt? looks great on you," he commented, smirking. of course, she was wearing his shirt.

"quiet, i could just as easily keep it and i'd like to see you going home shirtless," she pointed to his current, shirtless attire.

"let busan enjoy the view," he winked and placed a peck on her cheek. "besides, i do have a sweater too," he added before stealing a bite off her toast.

"hey! i've made you some too you know?" she pointed to the plate full of toasts.

"but yours tastes much better," he joked, his lips pecking hers a few times. she tasted the butter off his plump lips, smiling.

"i have class in an hour, and i'm sure you do too, so we should hurry," she spoke, kissing his lips one last time before pulling her face away from his.

"just a little more," he spoke in a baby voice, grabbing her chin gently and kissing her once again.

after a few seconds, they were interrupted by a barking coco.

"seems like she demands your attention," sinai chuckled, finishing her coffee in a few more sips. "i need to take a shower anyway."

"is that an invitation?" his blunt words made a small blush appear on her cheeks.

"no, i was just announcing it," she stood up, placing a kiss on his bare shoulder. "you stay here and eat, you need your energy."

"yes baby," he replied obedientely, grabbing her hand in his and kissing it before letting go.

something had definitely changed between the two. on jimin's side, he was ecstasic sinai was finally giving in to him. on sinai's side, she was finally letting herself care about someone this way again.

sinai didn't take too long in the shower, soon emerging from her bedroom wearing her college uniform, a stethoscope around her neck and her white gown over her arm.

walking into the kitchen area and seeing jimin still sitting there pushed her forward a few years, waking up to go to the hospital to work, and seeing this exact same scenario. except, perhaps, with a ring on her finger and one apartment instead of two. she shook her head, shooing those thoughts.

but what she didn't know was that jimin thought the exact same thing when he landed eyes on her.

"you have hospital work today?" jimin asked, making sinai nod.

"nothing big, just watching and learning, but it's my favorite thing right now," she shrugged as she walked over to him.

"you look very smart and professional," he complimented her, eyeing her features. "not to mention, sexy as hell."

she let out a genuine laugh, shaking her head. "only you to find this sexy," she spoke, pushing his face away from hers. "now get your butt up and go take a shower. you smell."

he didn't object, but he made sure to steal a kiss or two before heading to the bathroom himself. sinai took the time to go into her room and make the bed, amongst other things.

what she didn't expect was to hear the front door slam open, making the whole apartment shake. she winced, and although she hadn't expected it, she sure knew what was next.

"sinaaaaaai!" a female voice yelled, slurring the word as alcohol possibly ran through her veins already. sinai looked at the watch. it wasn't even ten in the morning yet.

dragging her feet out of her room, she walked to the front door, being met with the sight of her mother holding on to the door frame.

"c-can you believe... the bastard... took another one of his sluts home?" she slurred, making sinai instantly reach out and hold her up, afraid she would fall if she didn't.

she listened to her mother complain on and on about the new mistress her father had found. it made sinai sick to her stomach, and not only because of her father's attitude, but also because of her mother. she knew they were only together for convenience, seeing as neither had the money to move out, plus the company was in both of their names. but this had crossed all of the boundaries.

sinai slowly dragged her mother, to the best of her abilties, towards the guest bedroom. it was at times like this that she thanked god for them having bought this apartment for her before all of the money had started slipping from their hands. what once had been the prospect of a great company slowly became a far away dream. but she was used to that already.

who wasn't used to any of it, of course, was jimin. and when he heard the commotion outside, he had wrapped a towel around his waist and stepped outside, ready to help sinai in case it was a burglar of some sort. his brows furrowed in confusion as sinai halted seeing him.

"ooooh, hello there," her drunken mother waved at jimin, turning to her seemingly broken daughter. "who's this handsome young man? a friend... a boyfriend?" the woman looked back and forth between the two adults.

"nah, that right there is too much for you. too much. too gorgeous for you. probably too smart too, but that's not hard," she laughed obnouxiously loud, but not as loud as the sound of sinai's heart breaking for what seemed like the thousandth time.

"i--" jimin was left speechless, and sinai simply shook her head.

"just go, jimin," she whispered, biting her bottom lip to prevent it from quivering. "go, please."

"but--"

"i said go, god damn it!" sinai raised her voice, making jimin gulp and quickly retrieve his clothes from sinai's bedroom.

he didn't even have the time to put his clothes on as sinai basically pushed him out of the front door as soon as she could. she didn't want him to see it, the darkest side of her life, the things she had to deal with. because maybe then he'd finally realize she was too broken for him to mend.

as soon as the boy was out, she was finally able to focus on pushing her mother under a cold shower, trying to get her to sober up, which was something she was already used to. that, and the brushing her hair and tucking her in her bed so she could sleep the rest of the alcohol off.

and she also knew what to expect next; her mother would wake up in a few hours, and leave her place without a word. because that was just who she was.

and maybe that was also part of what made sinai who she was.