Two

John Holmes sat in his new home's office room; pen tightly held in his left hand, papers scattered in an organized fashion in front of him and glasses hanging low on the bridge of his nose. He released a heavy sigh, the separation had come with far more paperwork than he had imagined. Dividing their belongings and fortunes legally and equally had began to give him a headache. 

The man placed the pen down, taking his glasses off and folding them as he placed them on a safe surface. Deciding it was time to leave the place for once, he stood from the office chair and stretched his back, spreading a tasteful feel for his muscles as he exit the small room. 

John Holmes had left New York City two weeks ago. He went from expensive apartments and exhausting meetings to a decent paying one story complex house with two rooms and lone paper signings whenever he wanted. He also found himself back all the way down to the middle of an unheard, small town in Chicago. John had been inside his cozy new home and he intended to keep it that way, but a single look through the window had him thinking otherwise. 

Holmes grabbed his house keys, grabbed his jacket and slipped on his shoes as he made it out towards the door. 

Loud cheers could be heard from the small plaza in town. Colorful royal blue and tropical green strings hung above the people in a mesmerizing zig-zag pattern and with these small patio light-bulbs blended among the strings. A small stage was set up in the middle of the plaza, here music came blasting from a speaker as students from Greenbay High danced to it in front. There were stands offering food, games and other things you would usually buy at a state fair. Allison Fredrick stood on the stage, a bowl in her hands and a clipboard in the other. She nodded enthusiastically at what her friend was telling her, eager to make another disaster episode in her high school. Back at the coffee shop across the plaza, Adriana sat on a table drinking a warm cup of hot chocolate. She played with her house keys, spinning the key chain loop under her finger, over the table. 

She had her eyes set on Allison. Adriana knew how much Allison liked to humiliate people and she still couldn't understand how they would still let her run the activities to follow Valentine Survival. Adriana sighed, taking a long sip from her drink and letting her forehead fall on her arms. 

John Holmes admired the school spirit in this town. It made him wonder if Quincy and him would've gotten the chance to have a child, would they have been as energetic and upbeat as the ones partying there? He smiled to himself, thinking of a life that could've been. He didn't regret ending things, but he felt as though things could've been far more intense and normal. If his nearly soon-to-be ex-wife and himself had focused more on their marriage, maybe he'd have someone to call him dad. 

Adriana patiently sat on her chair still. She wasn't in any hurry to participate of this year's Valentine event and by the looks of it, Allison was enjoying herself before starting the whole thing. As she waited, she took her phone out and started surfing through her apps just to kill time. 

John's fingertips were getting cold. Even though it was bright and such, he could use a warm place to take shelter in for a while before he could continue exploring the city. By the looks of it today seemed to be a good day for doing just that. He walked through the crowd of dancing teens and lane of food stands before he heard the high pitched shrill of a microphone. John narrowed his eyes and walked towards a small shop filled with people, it seemed cozy and warm. 

"Alright lovers!" Allison cheered through the microphone. "Time to get this Valentine Survival started!" There were cheers and hollers as people gathered around the main stage. 

Adriana lifted her eyes from her phone, now alert and suddenly nervous about the whole thing. She quickly stood up, grabbed her jacket and blindly grabbed her phone from the table as she made her way towards the door. The second she took another step, eyes still focused on her phone, her body clashed with someone else's.

Holmes eyes shut close as he felt someone crash onto him, a small complaint escaping his mouth.

"Omph." Adriana moaned in pain as her cellphone dug onto her stomach.

"Argh." John groaned as Adriana's head hit his chin. His arms went to defend him as he took a hold of the person who had bumped into him, eyes now fully open and aware of the young brunette girl in front of him.

Adriana rubbed her stomach as she winced, head down and eyes still closed. "I'm so sorry, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going." She looked up and saw John Holmes.

A face she had never seen in town beforeHow exciting, she thought. He was an older man, far older than her. He stood a foot above her, his dark hair was neatly cut in a professional manner and Adriana couldn't help but look at his attire. He wore a pair of dark trousers, this which she couldn't identify if they were casual or career attire, a thick fabric jacket that matched his fancy trousers, and underneath a baby blue button up shirt. Adriana brought her eyes back to his face, she noticed his lips first, these which where plump and rosy, then his nose which was straight and, despise the odd adjective, strong; lastly she noticed his eyes, these were the darkest brown she'd ever come across, nearly black in her opinion. She stared at him with wide eyes and lips parted in a hypnotic trance. 

John offered an apologetic smile at the young girl. Her hair was covering one of her eyes, these which were the brightest shade of green he had ever seen. They could nearly be compared to the greenest day on a spring day. Holmes gave her arms a barely there squeeze before he took a step back. "I'm sorry, I wasn't really paying attention." He genuinely spoke. 

Adriana nodded, finding the feeling on her stomach odd, but maybe it was just the embarrassment she was going through. Then she nodded, again, taking a step aside and creating more space between them. "No," she slid a hand through her thick waves of hair. "I'm sorry, sir." She offered an apologetic look at John as she put her phone away. "I'm the one who was on their phone. I crashed onto you. I'm really sorry, sir. Are you alright?" 

John nodded, waving a hand dismissively at her. "No worries. Have a good day." He said as he steps around her so he could finally get that coffee he'd been wanting to get. Adriana mumbled another sorry to him before she started making her way towards the door again, but before she could leave entirely, John called her out. "Wait! I'm sorry to interrupt or to be nosy, but what are you guys celebrating?" He genuinely wanted to know what the big festivity was out there. 

Adriana turned around, her head tilted as John spoke to her. "Oh, it's the Valentine Survival. It's a local thing they do for donations and charities." She said as she smiled. "It's a bunch of challenges and as a prize you get to go on a paid date with whoever postulated themselves." 

"Thank you. I'll be sure to pass by and donate some stuff." He informed happily as he gave her a small nod.  

"Thank you! If you're just spending the night you'll have until eleven pm until it all shuts down or if you're staying then this is until Sunday. I'm Adriana Rocío. I'll see you around Mr.," Adriana paused, as if to tell him to say it out loud.  

"John Holmes. Pleasure to meet you, Adriana."

"You too, John."