3. Lucky Day?

As stupid as this sounds, it felt as if my finger was travelling in slow motion. I felt like this was the pivotal moment in an action movie that determines the life or death of the superhero. Instead of it being the three long seconds before the bomb explodes or the slow motion dramatic running from a house about to go up in flames, all I was doing was literally going to tap a boy's shoulder.

Same level of risk, really.

Millimetres before my finger made contact with the thin material of his annoyingly tight shirt, the devil interrupted. I saw Rose's arms wrap around Luke's torso and I took a step back, hiding my hand behind my back. I heard her giggle and kiss him before she took his hand and dragged him away like a puppet or a slave. People began walking to their classes around me and I just stood their awkwardly. I felt like an abandoned puppy on the side of the road. But I gave myself props, I mean, I was millimetres from making contact with my crush. The progress.

I huffed and spun around on my heels to walk back and retrieve my things, bumping straight into Michael. "Here," he handed me my belongings and I thanked him. "What do we have next?" I asked. "Biology," he stated and I beamed. "Yes, you'll get to continue admiring your little crush from the back of the room for another hour," he said in annoyance. "I just don't get why you're so against me just trying to talk to him!" I exclaimed as we made our way to Biology. He groaned. He seemed to look up in thought to try and conjure up an answer. "Ava, Ava, Ava. I'm protecting you, okay?" He finally admitted his reasons, but this revelation just caused me more confusion. "Why on earth would I need protection from Luke? He's a harmless guy," I said and he shook his head. "Not Luke, you moron. Rose. If she found you trying to make friends with her little chihuahua in a handbag, she'd tear you to shreds. Ruin your life like she has to girls before," he explained and I nodded.

The chihuahua thing was sadly true. I noticed she treated Luke as somewhat of an accessory, or just something to show off. Michael's explanation also made me realise something. It's no secret that behind Rose's sweet, blonde curls and bright, pink lips was a twisted mind of manipulation and evil. She's selectively targeted and humiliated a few girls in the halls and online. I wonder if that was what Michael was referring to. Were those girls at some point talking to Luke?

"She did those things because they were trying to get close to Luke?" I asked and he nodded as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. "And that's why girls don't associate themselves with him anymore," he explained as he entered Biology. I was unaware of this, but I guess Michael was more hip to the school scene and drama than I was. Or at least more interested...

We took our seats at the back left corner of the class with Michael's two other friends in front of us. These guys were cool.

Sometimes when they'd go over to Michael's I'd join them. If my mother knew I was in a room playing video games surrounded by boys she'd lock me up in my room forever. So whenever she called I had to get them all to be quiet, which they all found far too amusing. Ashton started making sexual noises once, which Michael had enough sense to stop for me.

"Happy Monday, Michael and Ava," Calum turned his chair to face us. "What's going on in your lives this happy morning," he said far too cheerfully. I couldn't detect any sarcasm. "Brainless Ava over here went to go and ask out Luke," Michael muttered which made Ashton spin around quickly. "Did you?" He asked with wide eyes. I shook my head and they both breathed a sigh of relief. "If you did you'd have to sleep with one eye open. At night, Rose Anderson transforms into a flesh eating beast. Ready to devour any female who makes contact with her jewels ," Calum said far too dramatically and I couldn't help but laugh. "Thanks for caring so much about me, guys," I said and they smiled. "Why did you want to ask out Luke, anyway?" Ashton asked and I blushed. "She's blushing!" Calum pointed and I scowled at him.

"Okay class," the teacher clapped his hands and everyone turned to face him. This teacher, I swear, has the roundest face in all of human history. It's almost a perfect circle. The fact he wore round glasses and had a tiny nose made him look far too much like a bowling ball. That's what Michael and I called him.

"I have a new assignment for you today," he informed as everyone groaned. "It's a partner assignment," he said and everyone's mood shifted. I gave Michael a knowing look, Calum and Ashton high fived, Rose and Luke kissed and every pair was established wordlessly. "But a part of the criteria is for me to assess how well you work with your peers, so I believe it is best you work with someone you don't talk to very often," he said in that irritatingly squeaky voice and I looked to Michael with a pout. He looked down sadly.

"So I'm getting you to choose a name from this plastic sleeve. And that shall be your partner!" He exclaimed, as if we were about to play a game. My stomach dropped because I knew I could go with either Calum or Ashton without too many dramas, but now I had no choice. "Okay, Ashton," he called and he stood up. "If you end up with a friend I guess you're lucky," he laughed and Ashton just glared at him. He pulled out a name. "Amanda," he smiled, the smartest girl in class. "No!" A few people shouted. "I wanna go with Amanda," "I hate you, Ashton," people complained. "Woah," Ashton raised his hands. "I came out here to pick a partner and I am honestly feeling so attacked right now," he walked back to his seat and smirked at us. "Guess who's not doing any work on this assignment," he bragged and Calum hit him, "lucky." A few other people were called up, and Calum ended up picking Michael, meaning all my dreams were crushed. But the butterflies in my stomach wouldn't settle down at the feeling I might end up with Luke.

I'm not even afraid of Rose. How on earth could she humiliate me? I stay away from all social media and have literally no embarrassing secrets, well, besides my crush.

The teacher pulled me out of my thoughts by calling my name. I stood up with shaky hands and I saw a few people mumble. I guess no one wants to end up with awkward, quiet, Ava. I calmed my nerves and forced myself to stop shaking as I reached into the plastic sleeve. I fumbled around with a few slips before I pulled one out. I took my chosen paper out, unfolded it and my heart dropped into my stomach.

A/N: hey hey! Comments and votes would be so nice you guys *looks up at you pouting* check out Hemmings4TheWin's stuff, especially her Ashton prefs, she's super awesome and amazing