5. Dimensions

I was lying down on my bed staring at Luke's number on the ripped piece of paper he gave me.

Call me an obsessive freak but his handwriting was adorable.

Ok hear me out, I'd never been the type of girl to have pathetic crushes such as this one. As I mentioned before, my boyfriendlessness void of despair had been fulfilled with romance novels and life conversations with Michael. This crush phase hit me hard and has been a weird sort of obsession for a few months now. Day dreaming had been enough for me, but today as he said my name and touched my knee and all the things that really shouldn't leave a girl all blushy and flustered did just that. I can tell Michael was disappointed in me.

"Ava, the girl I've known since I was 12, has a crush. I feel like a father who's daughter has just gotten married," he said sadly and I laughed. "I can't contain my hormones forever, Michael." He cringed. "Don't talk to me about girl hormones! I'm currently uncomfortable," he said and I glared at him. "This isn't the dilemma right now, Michael," I informed him and he looked up at me quizzically. "The dilemma right now is telling my mum I have to do a Biology assignment with an unknown human of the forbidden gender," I said dramatically and he gasped. "Bless your soul, I wish you luck, Ava," he patted my shoulder.

"Who would I be if I hadn't met you, Michael?" I wondered out loud. "You'd still be Ava. You just wouldn't have an awesome best friend," he smirked. "Do you think I'd still be sitting in the corner at lunch listening to All Time Low?" I asked he laughed, "most definitely. I haven't defined you, Ava. You've defined your amazing self," he said and I blushed. "I wonder if I'd be more confident if my parents weren't so overprotective," I said and he shrugged. "I think that's possible. But I really like the Ava in this particular dimension. She's quiet and mysterious to the universe but a hilarious goofball around me. I'm glad we were put in this dimension together," he said and I nodded. "There's probably a dimension where we hate each other," I smiled and he laughed. "There's a dimension for everything. There's a dimension where you're making out with Rose Anderson- Right. Now," he said dramatically and I slapped him. "You too!" He cringed. "There's a dimension where your mum is encouraging you to get a boyfriend," he teased and I pouted, "don't remind me," I said and he stood up. "C'mon, I'll back you up," he walked out of my room and I followed behind.

My mum was watching Toddlers & Tiaras when we saw her. "Hey, Mrs. Moore, Ava has something to tell you," Michael said and he pushed me centre stage. "Mum, I got put in a pair with this guy for a Biology assignment so I'll either have to go to his place or he has to come here to complete it-" She cut me off with a sigh. "I'll call the school tomorrow so you can get a different-" "Mum!" I cut her off and she glared at me. "This guy is harmless and he has a girlfriend!" I argued and Michael nodded behind me. "He really is harmless, Mrs. Moore," he backed me up. "Listen Ava, I don't feel comfortable with you speaking to boys I don't know-" "Listen, Mrs. Moore," Michael started. "Your little girl Ava here," he placed his hands on my shoulders, "is not a little girl!" He exclaimed and my mum huffed. "Your little girl, in fact, has been hanging with me and my two guy friends at my place playing video games for a while now!" He said and I turned to glare at him. My mum stared at me in shock, "is that true, Ava?" She asked. "Yes mum. And look at me, I'm fine," I smiled and Michael nodded. She was flustered for a moment, "well, he'll have to be here, and you both will have to be downstairs where your father and I can see you," she offered and I rolled my eyes. "That's weird! He'll think I'm weird, why do you want to ruin my life?"

Okay, I was being a classic, whiny teenager. But I don't give a damn. She's suffocating!

"They will be working on Biology the whole time, Mrs. Moore. You really have to learn to trust your daughter, she feels as if you don't trust her," Michael argued and I nodded even though it wasn't really true.

So my mum finally allowed an unknown member of the forbidden gender to be in my room with me, alone. Which was a huge milestone. The protected princess was finally loosening her shackles!
Michael had to leave and I thanked him with a huge hug. "Thank you for being with me in this dimension," I mumbled against his shirt and I felt his chest rumble as he laughed. "No problem," he smiled as he opened the door to leave, "you may now invite your little crush into your chambers," he said and rolled his eyes.

I texted Luke as soon as he left with shaky fingers and a brain of mush.

Smiley or no smiley? An 'x'? No, what the hell an 'x' is sexual. I groaned. Okay smiley. Smiley text or smiley emoji? Emoji with blush or no blush? Will blush reveal I like him? Will Rose see my blushy emoji and realise I like him and ruin my life? What am I even doing? Okay.

'Hey Luke, it's Ava. Would it be okay if you come over here for the assignment? Is tomorrow afternoon cool?'

I sent it. Not seconds later there was a reply.

'Ava! Yeah that's fine, I can go straight home with you :-)'

He did a smiley. Damn it, I should've done a smiley.

I bet there's a dimension where I did a smiley. I hate you other dimension Ava. I despise you.