10. Evidence

It's hard to believe that last night actually happened. It's totally something a more fortunate Ava of the more magical dimensions would experience. I guess I'm lucky the dimension gods allowed the unlucky Ava to experience just one magical night with the guy of her pathetic dreams.

There's nothing left to do right now except hope that Luke still wants to spend time with me after the whole assignment is over. He did say he admired me, right?

Ad•mire: verb.
1. To regard with pleasure, wonder, and approval.
2. To have a high opinion of; esteem or respect.
3. Look at something (impressive or attractive) with pleasure.

I like the third one the best.

So today was Friday and I managed to get to the school with our amazing display in tact. As soon as I walked in through the front doors I knew something was terribly wrong. I knew the fact that I was holding a huge DNA diorama wasn't the main concern here. The normally dismissive and ignorant eyes of the school population were all staring directly at me. I suddenly craved my previously despised feeling of being invisible. There's nothing I wanted more right now than to just disappear in a vortex taking me to a dimension where everything was okay.

I walked quietly through the hallways, watching people's eyes stare at me with looks of both sympathy and amusement. I hid pathetically behind the display and moved as fast as could towards my locker.

As I turned the corner to my destination, I noticed Calum standing there beside my locker with a look of extreme worry. I jogged up to him and as soon as he saw me he bit his lip, "Ava.." he said and I stared at him with wide eyes. "What is happening?" I pleaded for him to tell me. He seemed surprised that I didn't know. "Ava..." He started. "An uhm.. An anonymous Twitter account tweeted a photo of you and Luke together. And they... They mentioned Rose. The whole school has seen it," he informed me and I felt both my stomach and heart drop to the centre of the earth. "W-who?" I barely choked out the words. "Ava I... I gotta go," he turned his back to me and left me alone at my locker. Just then I noticed all the eyes around me weren't looking at me, but were all following a moving object obviously coming up behind me quickly.

I turned around on my heels and immediately saw bright blonde hair and tear-stained cheeks walking up to me with the tall blonde-haired guy of my dreams at her side.

"Ava Moore," she growled through gritted teeth. "I trusted you to keep your hands off of him," she cried and I was speechless. My eyes quickly flickered to Luke for help, but he was simply staring down at his feet. I could tell he was dying to fiddle with his fingers, but Ava was holding his left hand. "Rose, we're.. We're friends," I motioned to myself and Luke and she scoffed. "Inviting him over at night and dragging him places without me knowing," she almost shouted. My jaw dropped, is that what Luke told her? What did the picture show? "I don't know what you've been told Rose, but I don't have feelings for Luke at all," I lied. His eyes looked up at me momentarily before he bit his lip.

"I love him, Rose," I admitted quietly and the crowd of people around us gasped. Rose seemed to be in absolute shock. "I love you too, Ava," Luke whispered from beside her and she turned to him with a look of utter terror and disbelief. "I don't love you Rose, I never loved you," he admitted. One second later Rose was sprinting out of the hall and Luke stepped towards me and kissed me.

Okay guys, I apologise. That's probably what could've happened in a different dimension. If you want to read about that you're going to have to find a way to travel to that specific reality yourself. It'd be nice if you took me with you, too. This dimension isn't as nice. Let's go back to reality, to the part where Luke bit his lip.

"You're a liar," Rose shouted and stepped towards me. I stepped back instinctively, but it didn't stop her from trying to slap me. "Rose!" Luke shouted when she let go of his hand and swung it upwards to my face. Unfortunately, in an effort to save my face from being bitch-slapped by the bitch and possibly end up being cursed, I used the DNA as a shield. And that was the end of Luke and I's DNA. Rose managed to slap the diorama out my hands, it hit my locker and fell to the ground in pieces. "Rose!" Luke grabbed her by the waist to stop her from trying to hurt me again. By then everyone watching had their phones out recording us. I could feel my face burning bright red and and my hands were shaking by my side uncontrollably. "Hey, hey!" A teacher squeezed through the crowd and observed the scene before him. Luke holding back a crying Rose, me standing beside my locker visibly shaken and scared and what used to be a beautiful display in pieces on the ground.

Before anything else could be done, I ran as fast as I could into the nearest bathroom and locked myself in the last stall. I sat on the toilet lid and hugged my backpack tightly.

And of course the tears streamed down my cheeks. I'd never been more mortified or afraid in my life. I jumped when I heard a pair of fists banging on the bathroom door. "Ava!" I heard Calum call. "Come out, please, no one's out here but us," Ashton pleaded and I walked out of the stall. I opened the door slightly and poked my head out to see if they were right. "Hide me," I whispered and they led me around the corner where they could stand in front of me without anyone seeing me. "Ava, you need to see something," Calum said and I nodded. "What?" I asked. He then pulled his phone out of his pocket, turned it on and handed it to me. On the screen was the photo of Luke and I. It was taken when Luke was taking me across the street from my house. The angle of the photo made it seem like I was dragging him, and I suddenly understood why Rose thought what she did. But that wasn't the most shocking thing about this photo. No, there was something else that made my heart freeze and almost drop the phone out of my hands. I knew this scene far too well. The way the tree hung low over the left side of the photo and the small, white house behind us.

There was only one place where this photo could've been taken from. And that place was from Michael's room.

A/N: hot damn what do you think?