14. Ice Cold Heart

"What is happening here?" I heard Michael's voice shout from around the corner. Everyone turned to face him, and when he saw the scene before him, I saw complete horror and hatred on his face. "You're sick, Rose," he said through gritted teeth. "Wonderful!" She clapped. "You're little friend is here for the main event!" She told me cheerfully. Luke gasped, "Rose, you said this was it, she's had enough," he argued. "Your boy toy's right," Michael agreed, forcing himself into the circle. I saw he was about to take his shirt off, probably to give to me, but Rose spoke up. "Hold him back," She said to Jarrod. He was immediately at Michael's side, keeping him away from me. "I wouldn't fight back unless you want her getting hurt," Rose said to Michael and he gulped, deciding to comply. "Now Ava, if you move, Michael will be the one getting hurt, isn't that right?" She turned to Jarrod and he nodded.

She walked out of the circle to where she was hiding before, and returned with a red bucket in her hands. "What's that?" Luke asked her but she ignored him. "Now will you listen, Ava?" She said before she threw the bucket's contents on me. My hands quickly flew up to my face, but that didn't stop the sharp pain from shooting through my entire body. I heard people shouting and laughing, and when I opened my eyes I checked my arms and body to see if I was okay. Luckily it seemed to be just ice water, but the freezing wind thrashing against my exposed skin made me feel an unbelievable amount of pain. I hung my head low and let my dripping hair hang over me. I wrapped my arms around myself and just shivered, wishing for everyone to disappear and let me cry in the middle of this park alone.

I suddenly felt two strong arms wrap around my body, and I melted into them. I squirmed and buried myself into this person's chest. Because I knew this embrace anywhere, it was Michael. He rubbed my back soothingly, "Ava, I'm here, you're okay," he whispered into my ear. "I'm about to call the police," he shouted. "So it would be beneficial to anyone involved to run as quickly as they can," he warned the people around us. I heard Rose laugh behind us, "Bye Ava!" She called sweetly and I heard the dozens of footsteps walk away quietly. I also heard a few snickers and laughs.

"My god, Ava. I warned you." I heard him mumble. And that was when I lost it. "You warned me?" I asked in disbelief. I pushed against his chest and he stumbled backwards. I scoffed and looked him up and down. "You warned me?!" I repeated in a shout. "This wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for you!" I pointed at him in accusation. His mouth opened and closed quickly, realising I was right. "Just...take this," he went to take off his shirt again. "I don't want anything from you," I growled. "Here," I heard another voice say. I looked around and saw Luke walking towards me with his shirt in hand. "No," I refused. "Luke, you had so many chances to help me," I said sadly and he bit his lip. "You know how much I care about you," he whispered and Michael scoffed. "If you cared about her you wouldn't have put her in the position where your psychotic, crazy-ass girlfriend could attack her!" Michael shouted at him and Luke stepped towards him. "Says the best friend who gave Rose that photo!" Luke shouted and Michael took a step back. "Yeah, I recognised it from being from your room straight away," Luke told him. "I-" Michael was speechless. "She was going to find out anyway!" Michael argued and Luke shook his head. "No, no Michael. You did this. Look at her," he pointed to me and Michael looked at me quickly, pain ridden on his face. "Look, you did this. Ava, you did this to Ava!" He screamed and Michael punched Luke in the nose. There was no other way to say it, I just saw my best friend punch the boy I'm possibly in love with in the nose. "Guys!" I stepped between them and they both stepped back. Michael looked down in shame and stared at his clenched fist. Luke rubbed his nose and stared at me momentarily before holding out his shirt. "Please take this Ava, your lips are turning blue," he said in worry, and I realised most of my body was numb. He stepped towards me and stretched the shirt over my head. I put it on and savoured the small amount of warmth. "I want to go home," I whispered and Luke nodded. "Come on," Luke wrapped an arm around me and started leading me out of the park. "At least dry up in my place," Michael said from behind us. I ignored him. "I've got it handled," Luke said dismissively.

I leaned into Luke's side for more warmth and his hand quickly rubbed up and down my arm. "I'll make it better, Ava," he said suddenly. "It'll all be okay, I've got you," he continued and another sob escaped my lips. "Shh," he cooed. "I've got you. I'm here for you, always," he whispered and I looked up, only to notice he was still crying. "Thank you," I whispered and he smiled. "After all, we're the weightless water spirits," he said and I laughed. "You're the first person ever to call me a water spirit, and it may be my favourite title ever," I whispered through my strained throat.

Up until this point, I hadn't even stopped to think how I'd explain this to my parents. As Luke led me carefully to my front door, he noticed me tense up. "I got this," he whispered. He knocked on my door and my mum opened immediately. "Why didn't you ca-" and that's when she saw us. "Ava?! What the hell is happening?" She screamed and Luke spoke up. "We were at Michael's and I dared her to jump into the swimming pool, she wanted to come home so," he explained but my mum wasn't completely buying it. I could tell she noticed the tears on both our faces... And the small amount of blood on his nose. "Come in," she took me from Luke and shut the door quickly. "Go have a warm shower," she ordered me. "I'll get you clothes."

I wordlessly made my way to the bathroom, and used the comfort and sound of the scorching water to mask my cries for another hour.