Chapter 2:Wife

Chapter Two (Part 1)

Chen Quan Ran was shocked the deity in front of him was the young girl he married ten years ago, Mo Lan.

Chen Quan Ran didn't expect to meet Mo Lan yesterday at the inn. But when they were reunited yesterday she knew he was her husband.

Mo Lan poured tea for Chen Quan Ran's grandma, and Mo Lan smiled mockingly at him. But his attention was on her curved eyelashes, little nose slightly tilted upward and her creamy white jade skin. He thought his wife in her green dress looked more beautiful than a spring flower.

Madam sipped her tea. She glanced at her grandson then she looked at Xiao Lan. 'Xiao Lan, how did you know this little boy is your husband?'

Chen Quan Ran glanced at his grandma and he looked at Mo Lan. He was also curious how she knew he was her husband.

Chen Quan Ran was lucky his men weren't inside his grandma's chamber. If his men saw how enamoured he was by his wife's wit and beauty, his men would think his commanding aura as a general was lost.

Mo Lan stood behind Madam and she massaged Madam's shoulders. Mo Lan smiled at Chen Quan Ran who sat opposite Madam. 'General Chen, you secretly travelled to the imperial city. But it was easy for me to guess your identity.'

Chen Quan Ran felt Mo Lan's voice was soothing as her beauty. It was a pity he never liked gentle young ladies. Their weak tears didn't repulse him as much as the thought of him accidently breaking their delicate leg or arm.

Mo Lan massaged Madam's arms and she felt Chen Quan Ran was looking at her condescendingly. She wasn't angry. She looked straight at his eyes and she smiled. 'Firstly, General Chen you weren't wearing your official armor but your boots betrayed your identity.'

Chen Quan Ran lowered his head and he looked closely at his boots. There was a golden dragon's claw embroidered on each of his boots.

'In the Northern Empire apart from the imperial family only the Northern Empire General is allowed to wear boots embroidered with a dragon's claw, secondly...' Mo Lan said. She looked at Chen Quan Ran's creased forehead and she smiled. 'General Chen, you command the Northern Empire's army. It's natural for you to have a commanding aura. But even if you are speaking informally your eyebrows are trained to look unyielding.'

Chen Quan Ran knew Mo Lan's words were purposely provoking him, but he didn't know why he couldn't control his anger.

Madam smiled and she looked at her grandson's unyielding eyebrows.

Chen Quan Ran wanted to cry and laugh. It was clear to him that Mo Lan wanted to use a good opportunity to take revenge on him for his jest about how she should beg him to save her from the bandits at the inn yesterday.

'Thirdly...' Mo Lan said. She ignored Chen Quan Ran and Madam's secret glances at each other. 'Madam kept a painting of General Chen's father when he was a young man. Although General Chen you are not as handsome as your father, you do resemble him a bit.'

Chen Quan Ran thought Mo Lan's tongue was sharp, her words successfully insulted him. But he wanted to praise her astute eye sight. Within the short period she was reunited with him, she was able to observe him closely and recognise him.

In the past ten years Chen Quan Ran occasionally thought about his wife. But he didn't expect the young girl who sat in a red sedan chair ten years ago would become a beautiful deity. He wondered if his wife remembered the first time they met, he lifted the red silk fabric over her phoenix crown headpiece and he put a frog in her hands. Suddenly the feelings in his heart were complex. If he said he didn't think his wife was appealing then he would be lying. But like in the past he couldn't force himself to desire a weak female. He didn't need a female to give birth to the next generation of the Chen household. He wanted a female who could ride a horse alongside him and laughed loudly with him.