Chapter 10:My wife's lost father

Chapter Ten (Part 1)

Tu Qing Min and other court officials pressured the emperor to demote General Chen.

Chen Quan Ran didn't want the situation to worsen so he escorted Mo Lan to the palace for interrogation.

The emperor worried about the safety of his closest friend Chen Quan Ran's family. He sent some of his personal guards to secretly follow and protect Chen Quan Ran and Mo Lan.

Many court officials attended Mo Lan's interrogation and they hoped Mo Lan would be convicted of treason. Because they feared General Chen's power and they were scared their fates would end up like Tu Lang if they offended General Chen. Tu Lang's death was a warning to them that the emperor favored General Chen over them.

The emperor wouldn't have sat on the throne without marrying court officials' relatives. The emperor felt powerless to protect Chen Quan Ran against the court officials' collusion.

Many court officials supported Tu Qing Min because they believed after the emperor died, the emperor would pass the throne to Consort Tu's son. Tu Qin Min would be more powerful than General Chen after Tu Qin Min became the next emperor's grandfather.

'General Chen although you and your family have contributed to founding and protecting the Northern Empire but your wife is Fang Mu Chu's daughter,' Tu Qing Mu said. 'Your wife is a threat to the survival of the Northern Empire.'

'Yes my wife is Fang Mu Chu's daughter,' Chen Quan Ran said calmly. 'What do you want to do about it?'

Chen Quan Ran looked resentfully at the court officials and the emperor. Then he looked lovingly at Mo Lan.

'My wife lost her mother at a young age,' Chen Quan Ran. 'She married me at the age of nine. For ten years she hasn't committed any wrong against the Chen Household and the Northern Empire. If it wasn't for my wife's wisdom then Southern Yue would have possessed Cai Ning and invaded the Northern Empire. Look at yourselves, because of a pair of earrings you accuse my wife of being a Southern Yue spy and used it as an excuse to sentence the Chen Household to death.'

Chen Quan Ran pointed accusingly at each of the court officials.

'That day why didn't any of you ask your daughters to stand up against Southern Yue?' Chen Quan Ran asked. 'Yet today all of you gang up together to bully a weak woman.'

Everyone felt threatened by Chen Quan Ran's sternness and they couldn't refute the truth.

The emperor didn't say anything but his heart praised Chen Quan Ran for standing up against a group of worms that only know how to eat and wait for death.

'Official Tu, do you know what my priority after I returned to the imperial city was?' Chen Quan Ran asked. 'To return justice to your nephew's victims.'

Mo Lan thought her husband was fearless against causing havoc. Her husband was rubbing salt onto Tu Qing Min's wound. After she heard the conviction in her husband's words she realised there was no reason for her to fear being a liability for the Chen Household.