Chapter 5:Revenge

Chapter Five (Part 1)

Cheng returned to the Chen manor and Chen Quan Ran took Xiao Lan to the best inn in the imperial city.

Mo Lan took into consideration Chen Quan Ran saved her life so she talked courteously with him on the way to the inn.

Inside the inn Chen Quan Ran sat closely next to Xiao Lan at a table. He smiled and he whispered in her ear. 'Xiao Lan, you look like you are upset. Yesterday did you carelessly hear something that made you boil with jealousy?'

Mo Lan frowned. She didn't want to admit her jealousy but she didn't want to lie. Why wouldn't she be jealous? Chen Luo Du stood beside her husband for ten years and her husband liked young ladies like Chen Luo Du.

Mo Lan glanced at her arrogant husband who looked like he wanted a beating. She ignored him and she drank a sip of tea.

Chen Quan Ran knew his wife had thin skin and she wouldn't admit her jealousy. He loved to jest with his wife, but he didn't want her to continue to ignore him.

Chen Quan Ran thought about what happened at the fabric shop and he shivered. 'Xiao Lan, your bravery is big. If I didn't appear in time then how can a weak young lady like you defend against those louts? You would have been hurt.'

Chen Quan Ran loved his wife's sense of justice, but he didn't want his wife to be injured. He felt she needed to understand if she wanted to be a heroine, firstly she needed to be certain if she could defeat her opponents.

Chen Quan Ran thought about his wife's loveable soft skin being bruised by that lout and he regretted he didn't beat that lout to death.

'Do you think I'm a fool? At that time I saw you outside the shop. Why should I be scared of those worms? You wouldn't stand idle and let them hurt me,' Mo Lan said.

Mo Lan drank another sip of tea and she smiled at Chen Quan Ran. 'Did you learn anything from what happened? If you did then you would know a person can't rely on their strength alone, they need to think with their head. In the future you shouldn't underestimate someone weak as me.'

Chen Quan Ran laughed at his loveable wife. He couldn't believe she reprimanded him in a situation she knew she lost to him.

A fuwu yuan brought food to Chen Quan Ran and Mo Lan's table.

Chen Quan Ran rubbed his chin. 'Xiao Lan, those louts said they're Tu Lang's guards. What kind of person is Tu Lang?'

Chen Quan Ran suspected Tu Lang was the man he wanted the emperor to execute.

'Customer, be careful not to speak his name otherwise someone can hear you and you'll be killed,' the fuwu yuan warned.

Chen Quan Ran and Mo Lan looked at the fuwu yuan.

'You know who Tu Lang is?' Chen Quan Ran asked.

'Of course I know. Everyone in the imperial city knows who Tu Lang is. His uncle is Tu Qing Min who is in charge of an army force. His cousin is Tu Fang Su who is the emperor's consort. He relies on his relatives' status and he does whatever he pleases in the imperial city and no one dares to oppose him. Tu Lang bought his position and his guards collect monthly protection fees from shop owners in the imperial city. If shop owners don't pay the monthly protection fees then their bodies will be beaten into a pitiful state,' the fuwu yuan whispered.

Mo Lan heard her husband snapped his fan.

'What about the other court officials?' Mo Lan asked.

'How can the other court officials interfere? Tu Lang has two mountains to protect him. The emperor favours Tu Fang Su and she gave birth to three princes. Where is the justice? Tu Lang kills innocent people but he receives no retribution,' the fuwu yuan said.