Chapter 4:Jealous

Chapter Four (Part 1)

In the morning Chen Quan Ran and Xiao Ha visited veteran warriors' homes.

Mo Lan supervised the maids and servants cooking and cleaning. Then she ate a morning meal and chatted with Madam in Madam's chamber.

Mo Lan left Madam's chamber and she unintentionally heard some of Chen Quan Ran's men talked about her and Chen Quan Ran's relationship.

'Do you see? The general has only returned home for a few days but lady Chen sent love letters to the general saying how much she misses the general,' the first warrior said.

The second warrior laughed. 'It shows how attractive the general is. The general is heroic and handsome, of course he has many secret admirers. It is a pity lady Chen is stubborn, she saved all her affections for the general.'

'I disagree. The general is brilliant and handsome. Lady Chen is ordinary. She doesn't match the general,' the first warrior said.

'Listen to me, Chen Luo Du from the age of fifteen served the general. She is beautiful and from a military family. She excels at horse riding and archery,' the second warrior said.

'You're right. The general likes women like lady Chen. Isn't Madam a heroine like lady Chen? Perhaps one day the general will marry lady Chen and she'll become part of the general's household,' the first warrior said.

Mo Lan felt like a boulder pressed against her chest and she couldn't breathe.

'But the general has an official wife. Everyone can see the general's wife is beautiful and she is good at managing the Chen household,' the first warrior said.

The second warrior shook his head. 'It's a pity the general's wife is no one in the eyes of the general. Everyone has followed the general for many years and knows that the general hates weak and gentle women like his wife.'

'That's right. I remember once we were riding alongside the general and a rich court official's daughter fell in love with the general at first sight. It's a pity the general asked the young lady if she can ride a horse beside him and laugh. The young lady didn't answer. Then he asked if she can drink wine jars with him and talk monkey nonsense. The young lady didn't answer. Lastly he asked her if his legs and arms are itchy can she sword fight with him. The young lady cried and ran away,' the second warrior said.

'You're right. The general's wife is similar to the rich court official's daughter,' the first warrior said.

'The general's wife is exactly like the rich court official's daughter. Doesn't everyone know that year the general married his wife, he gave her a frog and she fainted? The general's wife is a spoiled lady, how can she be regarded highly in the eyes of the general?' the second warrior said.

'Perhaps it's true the general refused to come home for ten years, because he wanted to avoid his wife. But that can't be right-' the first warrior said.

Chen Quan Ran's men talked and laughed but they were oblivious to Mo Lan who stood nearby and the sadness in her eyes.

Mo Lan walked away from Chen Quan Ran's men.

Chen Quan Ran's men's ears were trained to hear footsteps. They heard someone walk away from them. They turned around and they saw a glimpse of the general's wife's back. They regretted their careless words and they knew they would face the general's sword.

Mo Lan walked until she couldn't see Chen Quan Ran's men then she ran to her chamber. She wanted to avoid the truth, but she knew it was true Chen Quan Ran avoided her for ten years.

Mo Lan didn't want to think about how much Chen Quan Ran hated her.

There was no father or mother in Mo Lan's life. Since she turned nine, Madam raised her.