Chapter 29

"Now, women won't be helpless anymore. They will be able to defend themselves."

Selena and I nod to Lucy's words.

After a brief silence, Selena says, "I need to tell you something."

Lucy and I patiently wait for her to elaborate.

"My brother wants to step down from his position as the Gamma. And he wants me to be the next Gamma."

"Wow, that's amazing!" Lucy exclaims in excitement. Even I become happy after hearing the news. But the look on Selena's face fades the smile on my face.

She doesn't look happy or excited about it. She looks serious.

I place my hand on her shoulder and ask, "Selena, what's wrong?"

"I don't want to be a Gamma," she says.

"Why?"

"Because if I become a Gamma then a lot of responsibilities will lie on my shoulders. And I don't think I'm ready for it. I'm just eighteen," she reasons with us.

"I had to assume the responsibilities of a Beta very early in my life," I start. "Even I had thoughts similar to you back then. Even I had doubts about myself. But you know what, I lacked something that you don't. You know what that it? It's experience. You fought and defeated many leaders during these past months. You exhibited such great talents and skills. I saw you evolve so beautifully. So, you don't need to worry about anything. You will easily handle all the responsibilities. I believe in you."

"I believe in you too," Lucy steps in. "You should believe in yourself. Women don't get to be leaders of a werewolf pack. But you are getting such a wonderful opportunity. When you become a leader, you'll be able to do so much more than what you are doing now. You'll be able to bring so many changes for the betterment of women. Don't let this opportunity go to waste."

Selena nods.

"Why does your brother want to step down from his position?" I question.

"Because he's inspired by our vision. He really wants to see women treated the same as men. So, he wants to step down so that I can take his position," she answers. "He wants to bring about a change."

"You know, it's men like him who are making it possible for women like us to fight for empowerment. I'm really proud of your brother. Things would've been different if all the people were like him." Lucy says and silence falls in the living room.

"What does Brent think about it?" She asks, thus, breaking the silence.

"Alpha Brent wants me to take my brother's position. But he also said that whatever decision I'll take, they'll respect it."

"Selena, just think about the bigger picture when you take your decision, alright? If you take the Gamma's position, well and good. If not, then also well and good. We won't pressurise you into doing something that you don't want to do. Just take your time and think about it," I suggest.

"Can I start thinking about it from tomorrow? Because now, I want to focus on getting drunk," Selena says.

Lucy and I laugh.

*

All the three of us slept in the morning and woke up in the noon. After brushing and showering, all of us are about to head to the kitchen to feed our hungry stomach, but I stop midway when a photo on the bedside table catches my eye. Selena doesn't notice me stopping, so she keeps going. But Lucy notices me looking at the photo on her bedside table.

In the photo, there's a boy and a little girl smiling.

Lucy comes to stand beside me and points towards the photo as she tells me, "That's me and my brother. This photo was taken when Dad was alive." After a pause, she says, "When I look at this picture of my brother, I wonder how could such an innocent kid turn into a monster. I wish he hadn't changed."