Chapter 30

Before we can pass by his pack house, I stop and grab Alarick's arm to halt him.

"What happened?" He asks.

"I need to talk to you," I say.

"What's the matter?"

"Not here. We'll talk in your pack house," I tell him.

After we're in his pack house, Charles and Daniel greet me. They are happy to see me after a long time. But their happiness doesn't last for long when I announce, "When Lucy, Selena and I were together, someone was watching us."

Charles and Daniel look at each other.

"What do you mean?" Alarick asks.

"When we used to travel to various packs to talk to leaders about training women, we were being followed."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Even Lucy feels the same way. I can't seem to understand, why would anyone follow us?" I wonder.

Alarick, Charles and Daniel share gazes with each other.

Alarick looks at me and says, "We'll find out who's following you. Till then, stay alert and be careful."

I nod.

As soon as I take a step inside my pack house and into my room, my phone starts ringing. I look at my phone and find that Selena wants to start a videochat with me.

After accepting her request, I find that Selena and Lucy are in the video conference call.

"Hi, what's going on guys?" I ask.

"I really don't know," Lucy replies. "Selena just connected me to this call."

"I have something to tell you," Selena announces. "I've thought things through and I've decided that," she gives a dramatic pause, "I will accept the Gamma's position."

Lucy and I holler and hoot.

"I'm so happy!" I exclaims.

"You took the decision so quickly. What made you change your mind?" Lucy questions. This question was in my mind too. Last time we talked, Selena was hesitant in taking the Gamma's position. And now, she's up for it. I'm curious just like Lucy is.

"I had a talk with my brother and I confided in him on why I didn't wanted to be a leader. And then, he started talking about inspirational and motivational stuff. I can guarantee you guys, if you talk to my brother, he can convince you to do anything. And that's what happened to me. He convinced me. He also promised to help me in carrying out my duties."

"He can convince me to do anything?" Lucy teases. "I've got to meet your brother.

Selena and I laugh before Selena speaks, "You'll get to meet him on Saturday."

"What's on Saturday?" I ask.

"My Coronation."

*

After Matt, Darius and I get settled in our rooms at Alpha Brent's pack house, I go to meet Selena in her room. When I enter the room, I also find Lucy there.

After greeting each other with hugs, we sit down to talk.

"On a scale of 1 to 10, how excited are you to become a Gamma?" Lucy asks.

"Maybe an 11?" Selena replies.

I grab her hands and say, "I'm so happy for you."

At this, Selena's smile fades away. "Not everyone is happy."

"What do you mean?"

"Few of my pack members are not happy. They are saying that I'm not capable of leading a pack."

Lucy places her hand on Selena's and tells her, "They wouldn't be saying that if they saw you fight during these past months. They are sexist pigs so don't take their words seriously. They will keep saying things to bring you down. You just need to stay strong, not from here," Lucy squeezes her hand, "but from here." She points it to her head.

I say, "Tonight's your night. Don't think about what people are saying. Just think about all the people who'll feel proud to see you take the Gamma's position. When you'll be introduced as the new Gamma, just focus on smile on those people's faces."

Selena smiles and nods in understanding.

*

After getting ready, Selena, Lucy and I head to the hall. We decide to stick together throughout the event. Once we start talking, we don't stop. We've got so much to talk, so much catching up to do. When Selena is called on the stage to be introduced as the new Gamma, Lucy and I cheer and clap the loudest.

After the introduction is done, Selena joins us again and we continue to enjoy the night. Lucy has said something funny and we all laugh together but I stop laughing when I feel eyes on me.

When I look away from my friends and towards the people who are looking at me, I'm not at all surprised to find Alarick and Matt looking my way. Both of them are not happy to see my budding friendship with Lucy. While Alarick is trying to hide his displeasure of seeing Lucy and I together, Matt is making no efforts to hide his true emotions. I roll my eyes at them.

I turn back to my friends and tell them, "I'll be back in a minute."

They nod and I walk towards my friend and my mate who are standing at a distance.

Once I reach them, I comment in sarcasm, "I can clearly see the happiness radiating from you guys."

Matt gives out a mock laugh while Alarick shakes his head on my sarcastic remark.

"Matt, I know that you hate seeing me with Lucy but you can be subtle about it," I tell him.

"I don't know how to be subtle, Chriselda," he says.

I sigh and assure them, "You've got nothing to worry about, guys. I'm cautious when the matter concerns Lucy."

"It doesn't seem like it," remarks Matt.

"Well, that's because I'm good at pretending," I reply with a white lie. I need them to stop worrying about me. I don't want them to unnecessary occupy their minds with Lucy. I leave to join Lucy and Selena.

*

After the Socials at Selena's pack, Matt, Darius and I return to our pack. The next day, I go to visit Alarick. As soon as he opens the door of his pack house, I ask, "Would you like to go see a movie with me?"

A smile appears on his face as he replies, "Yes."

"Great, so I'll pick you up at 7."

He chuckles. "Usually, it's the guy who says this line."

"Well, we had to make an exception," I reply. "Last time, you took the initiative to ask me out for dinner. And now, I'm taking the initiative to ask you out for a movie date. We can plan for our dates alternatively. That's how we're going to work on our relationship and will get to know each other."

On that positive note, I bid farewell to my mate with a kiss and a promise for the exciting night to come.

*

At exactly 7 in the evening, I find myself standing in front of Alarick's pack house. After he opens the door, he says, "You're on time. I didn't know you were so eager to spend time with me." He teases me.

"I just don't want to miss the beginning of the movie," I say with a straight face. When he frowns, I laugh at him and say, "I'm just kidding. Ofcourse I want to spend time with you! Shall we?" I extend my arm for him to take.

He shakes his head in amusement as he entangles his arm with mine. I look back and I find Charles and Darius wishing me luck by giving me a thumbs up.

I return my gaze to my mate and we start walking towards my car.

"So, which movie are we going to watch?" Alarick asks.

"The Nun."