Chapter 43

"Okay," I nodded to myself. "You think you deserve to be the Beta. Well, you've got to prove it. I challenge you for a combat, Joshua. If you defeat me, you can become the Beta."

"I accept your challenge," Joshua says. "So, when are we going to have the combat?"

"Let me first talk to Matt and Darius," I say.

Before I can leave, he says, "I hope you'll not back out from your decision."

I don't say anything to him and head to the pack house. Once I'm inside, I tell Matt and Darius everything that happened. When I'm finished, Matt is the first one to speak.

"You shouldn't have done that," he says as he gives me a disapproving look. "He provoked you and you stepped right into his trap."

"I said certain things in the heat of the moment. If you won't approve of the battle, then there won't be a battle," I tell him.

"So, you are ready to back out?"

"Yes," I say without a doubt.

"You gave him your word," Matt states.

"Your approval is my priority, not my words given to Joshua," I tell him. At this, he lifts his eyebrow.

"I know that I've disobeyed your orders in the past but I did that only when the matter was related to me. Challenging Joshua for the position of the Beta is a matter that is related to the pack and I will never take a decision that can affect the welfare of this pack. Only you have that authority and power."

Matt lets my words sink in his mind. Then, he comes and sits beside me. "I don't want you to battle with Joshua."

I nod. "Okay. I'll let him know." I stand up.

"I'll also come with you," Matt says.

Both of us approach Joshua's house. Joshua is surprised when he sees us. He lets us inside.

"I don't want you and Chriselda to battle," Matt states.

"Are you scared that I would defeat her?" Joshua taunts him.

"Don't forget who you are talking to. I'm your Alpha," Matt warns him.

"If you are truly an Alpha then you will let us battle. This is the only way to decide who is the better Beta."

"You are not fit to be the Beta," Matt says in a firm tone. "You want to become the Beta only because of your greed for power. And I don't want a Beta like that for my pack. I want a Beta who will serve the people, just like Chriselda does."

"You are just trying to give excuses. You are scared that I will easily beat her. You are scared of me becoming the Beta."

Matt laughs. "I'm scared of you? You're mistaken. You won't become the Beta because you will lose in the battle. Chriselda has fought many leaders. What makes you think that she won't be able to kick your ass?"

"Let us battle and I'll show you."

Matt's gaze is locked on Joshua. He crossed his arms and says, "Okay. I give you and Chriselda permission to battle each other. If you win, you will become the Beta. If you lose, you will forget your dream of becoming the Beta. You will not bother us again with your shit."

Joshua agrees.

"I give you seven days to prepare for the battle. I don't want to hear you say that I didn't give you enough time when Chriselda defeats you."

Matt doesn't wait for Joshua's reply. He just turns around and leaves with me following behind. It's only when we get back to the pack house that I open my mouth. "What have you done?" I finally ask him. I wanted to question his decision when he was talking to Joshua but I kept my mouth shut out of respect for my Alpha.

Darius gets confused and questions, "What has Matt done?"

I tell Darius what had happened. When I'm done, he says, "I can't believe what I'm hearing."

"Matt, you were supposed to reject the idea of a combat. But instead of doing that, you gave your approval. You wanted to get me out of Joshua's trap but you too got yourself buried in his trap."

"My blood was boiling when he was talking shit about you. I just couldn't take it!" Matt exclaims in frustration. "So, I decided to shut him up for forever. And the best way to do that was to approve of the challenge. You'll easily defeat him and then he'll stop dreaming about becoming the Beta."

"What if I lose?" I ask just to know what he'll say.

"You can't lose even in Joshua's dream."

We all share a look before we burst into laughter.

*

The day of the battle has finally arrived. During the last seven days, Joshua and I were busy training. The pack members knew that we were up to something but they didn't know what. The only people who knew what was going on was me, Matt, Darius, Joshua and his father. Uncle tried to convince Joshua and I to not battle but we didn't listen to him. He even tried to convince Matt to call off the fight but Matt was firm in his decision. He wanted to end Joshua's shit, once and for all.

Presently, Joshua and I were standing facing each other while the pack members surrounded us. Matt announced that Joshua and I are going to battle for the Beta position. While he was explaining the rules for the fight, my gaze went behind Joshua and my eyes locked with Benjamin. What was he doing here? Did Alarick send him here? Did he know about the fight?

"Chriselda, are you ready?" Matt's voice breaks my train of thoughts.

I nod and say confidently, "Yes."

"Joshua, are you ready?"

"I've always been ready," Joshua says.

I shake my head at his overconfidence. I've already fought men like him in the past. His overconfidence will surely lead him to his doom.

Matt announced, "Let the fight begin!"