Chapter 33

I turn to them and say, "Ciara needs to know." I came to this decision after a careful deliberation.

"She won't be able to bear the truth," Ciara's Mom's says.

"You can't keep the truth from her forever. I know that truth will hurt her but she deserves to know the truth."

After convincing Ciara's parents and telling them what is to be done, I return to Ciara's room, where I find her sleeping soundly. I look at her peaceful face. After the fun we had last night, I don't feel like telling her the truth. I don't want to hurt her.

But she needs to know about her mate. Hiding the truth from her would be unfair to her. I know that the truth would shatter her dreams of being with her mate but it needs to be done.

I lie beside her on the bed and just stare at the ceiling with many scenarios playing in my head of how things would go down.

It's when Ciara moves beside me that I realize that noon has arrived. I get up from the bed and wait for Ciara to fully wake up. After she wakes up, she greets me with a happy smile, "Good morning!"

I chuckle and tell her, "It's a little late for that since it's noon."

"I know," she yawns.

After we freshen up, we go to the kitchen where the meal is laid on the dining table. Ciara takes her seat and starts eating the food as she's really hungry, without sensing the tense environment. Ciara's parents and I share glances before I take a seat and start picking at my food.

"What's wrong? Why aren't you eating your food?" Ciara asks with her mouth full.

"I think I've lost my appetite," I tell her honestly.

"Why?"

"I'll tell you later. For now, you continue to eat like a pig," I try to change the topic by teasing her. And it works as she nudges me and tells me that she doesn't eat like a pig.

I smile half-heartedly and stare at her as she eats her meal. I hope that the truth won't change her. I hope she remains the cheerful girl that she is.

Please Goddess, don't let the truth destroy Ciara.

*

After Ciara finishes her food, she looks at all of us and questions, "Why are you guys silent?"

Ciara's parents and I share gazes. I sigh before I say, "It's time."

"It's time for what?" Ciara asks.

Ciara's Mom's steps forward, "Ciara, there's something you should know."

"What is it?"

"You won't hear it from us," I tell Ciara. "We'll take you to the person who will tell you."

She gives me a confused as well as a curious look.

"Come with me," I say to her. The four of us walk towards Ciara's car. Ciara and I take the front seats while Ciara's parents take the back seats. I start the car and we drive to our destination.

On the way, Ciara questions, "Where are we going?"

"You'll come to know when we get there," is all I say.

After we reach the destination, Ciara looks out the window and asks, "Why have you brought me to the cemetery?"

Ciara's parents and I keep quiet. We all get out of the car and head inside.

"What's going on? Why aren't you telling me anything?" Ciara whispers to me while her parents walk ahead of us.

I don't say anything and we continue to walk. Just a few metres away, Trey's parents are waiting for us.

When Ciara sees them, she asks me, "Who are they?"

Again, I don't say anything until we reach them.

"They have something to tell you," I say to Ciara. She gives me a questioning look.

Trey's Mom steps forward and says, "Hello, Ciara. I want you to meet someone." She takes Ciara's arm and brings her in front of Trey's grave. "This is where my son lies. His name was Trey and he was your mate."

Ciara is flabbergasted. "Mate? I don't understand..."

Trey's Mom starts telling her everything from the scratch. By the time she finishes, Ciara is in tears. Her face doesn't convey anything but the tears keep rolling down her cheeks. She just stares ahead at her mate's grave.

"Ciara?" Ciara's Mom softly calls out to her but Ciara doesn't respond. "Please say something," Ciara's Mom begs.

Suddenly, Ciara falls on her knees and that's when she breaks down. She sobs while her parents embrace her, trying to calm her down. All of us have tears in our eyes. All of us can hear Ciara's heart breaking with her every cry. She is in pain as if someone has pulled her heart out from her chest.

When Ciara composes herself, her parents help her to get on her feet. Now I know why Ciara's Mom was so intent on hiding the truth from her daughter. Because she could already imagine what Ciara would feel when she would come to know the truth. A mother can truly feel her child's pain.

Ciara separates herself from her parents, goes to Trey's parents and hugs them. The three of them continue to hold eachother because they share the same grief of losing someone so close to their heart.

After a few minutes, Ciara pulls away from the hug and comes to me to hug me. I hug her as tightly as I can, trying to offer her all the comfort and composure. When she pulls away from our hug, she looks at all of us and says, "I want to be alone with my mate for some time."

We all understand that this is the cue for us to leave her. Ciara's parents look at me. They are hesitant to leave their daughter alone in this condition, fearing that their daughter might harm herself.

I give them an assured look, telling them with my eyes that Ciara won't hurt herself. After seeing Trey's parents, she knows what it feels like for a parent to lose a child. And I don't think she would do something to make her parents go through what Trey's parents are going through.

I gesture to Trey's and Ciara's parents to leave. They start leaving while I follow them. When I look back, I see Ciara lying on Trey's grave as if giving him a hug. A tear escapes my eye. I quickly wipe it away before I start crying.

When we're out of the cemetery, I see a familiar face coming my way. And I know why he is here.