Chapter two - A girl raised by wolves

I have no idea how, but the humans found us. Years of isolation and peace were destroyed.

It was the season of cold and snow. Winter if my mind serves correctly. I was out hunting with my pack. I always made traps during the winter while out for some game. The pack didn't mind since it meant more food. And I was happy that I could provide the pack something.

We were chasing a male buck this time. I was in the lead. My pack mates surrounded it while I was in the trees. I heard a loud howl in the distance, that's the signal. I jump out of the trees, aim, and I throw a punch at the buck's neck. A loud crack of bones told me that I snapped his neck.

The huge buck collapses on the ground, twitching a few times then dies.

'That was too easy.' I sigh.

'With you Asher, yes it's always easy. When it's only us, it takes us a chase of five miles away from here to finally catch one.' Rob, my den mate chuckles.

'Yes, now imagine being without me in cold season. You guys would be half dead!' I say laughing.

Rob rolls his eyes.

'Okay who's taking the deer this time? Thrasher took it last time and I took it the other time.' Rob says poking the deer with his paw.

'I will Rob. It's my turn anyways.'

'Are you sure? Your arms don't seem to be able to lift a twenty pound buck by yourself.' Rob says worriedly.

'You seriously think I can't lift a mere twenty pounds Rob? Remember who was the one who lifted Esmerald with one hand?' I ask, lifting an eyebrow.

He lowers his head mumbling.

'You.'

'Mhm. And who was the one who lifted that huge dead tree off the cave when the storm came?' I ask.

He lowers his head more.

'Now if anyone else has any problem between me carrying this buck, you can say it now.' I said looking at the other wolves.

They all lower their heads.

'Thank you. Now come on I highly doubt alpha would be happy having his meal being delayed any longer.' I said lifting the buck easily.

'Seriously I don't know how you can lift that much weight! Are you half monster or what?' Rob says looking at me.

I shrug.

'You know as well as I that I wouldn't know even if I wanted to, remember?' I say.

He immediately apologizes.

'Sorry Asher, I know it's a sensitive topic what happened that day and I shouldn't have-'

'No, it's okay. I don't remember much of it anyway.' I said waving my hand.

'Still sorry.'

Ever since I was taken in. My pack repeatedly has underestimated me. At least my den mates do. The alpha and the elders seem to know something about me that makes it seem like they have high expectations for me. It worries me.

We steadily walk back towards our home. Rob, Thrasher, Las, and Fi were guarding me and the buck.

After a some time we finally reach our camp.

The elders were sunbathing, warming their old bones, the pups were playing with a few bones and a dead rabbit they caught, and the higher ups, the alpha was laying down on a high rock with his mate, the beta to the right was sitting up, watching with his sharp gaze, and the gamma was lazily looking at the older pups who were tussling and sparing each other. His mate was in their cave, her swollen belly showing. She was due soon.