A New Beginning

Cold.

Subaru felt cold.

His eyes were still shut, but they felt like he had been crying. Why would he have been crying? When he opened his eyes he found himself in a strange room ... on the ceiling. He hit the ground with a loud thud!

"Ouch," he said as he rubbed the back of his head

"Who goes there?" called a voice from another room "I swear, I'm ready to do some serious damage to anyone!" Suddenly, a girl walked into the room ... from the floor. She had platinum blonde hair and beautiful purple eyes. She wore heavy winter clothing but still looked so thin and elegant. "Who goes ..." she stopped once she saw Subaru.

"I'm sorry, is this your house?" Subaru asked "Sorry, but I don't know how I got here or what I'm doing here or where I even am. Can you help me, please?"

The girl walked over to him, slowly, her entire face was white like snow. "Hatter?" She said

"I'm not a hatter my name is Subaru," he said

"You're a ghost! You have to be!" The girl now seemed terrified "You're ... you're dead!"

"Dead? No I'm not," said Subaru as a flying tea pot flew by "Am I on drugs?"

"This isn't happening, this isn't happening!" The girl broke into tears. "I'm going mad,"

"Whoa. Please stop crying, I'm already very confused and you're not making it easier," Subaru took the girls hand, she gasped a little as he took her over to a six legged chair in the corner of the room. "Please tell me, where am I and what's going on?"

The girl took a few breaths before she was able to speak. "My ... my name is Alice," she said "This is Contefee, it's a country, you're in the Wonderland part right now," Alice shivered as a draft suddenly came in. "I'm sorry but you look so much like a friend of mine ... he was also named Subaru, and he looked just like you. I think I'm going crazy, I'm going mad,"

"Stay with me here," Subaru rubbed Alice's arm affectionately "Go on,"

"Um ... He died, three weeks ago," Alice took a deep breath "It was just too cold for him, but he did it for her!"

"Who's ..." Subaru started to ask, but stopped as Alice started crying.

"I'm sorry but ... I loved him so much, I don't understand why he died,"

"Oh," Subaru looked at the ground as Alice cried. "I'm sorry, it must be hard to loose someone you love so much," he said

Alice nodded "I keep thinking that he's somewhere that he's not really gone. Are you not a figment of my imagination?"

"No, but I think you're a figment of mine," Subaru shivered, another draft "But, where am I? Wonderland?"

Alice nodded "Yes,"

"... You're joking right?" Alice looked at him tearfully, he got another look at the flying teapot and he knew she was serious. "Okay ... I can live with this," another draft "Whoa, is it always this cold in the wintertime?"

"It's summer," Alice corrected "It's because Lillie took over, she makes everything cold,"

"Who's Lillie? The snow queen?"

"Yes," Alice nodded "She seemed to come from no where at all, her gaze alone casting a winter storm onto all. But ... oddly enough ... the people loved her! They adored her, they gave her whatever she wanted, they even helped her build her ice castle at the Arundel Mountains. They still love, the more attention she gets, the wider her storm reaches. It finally got to Wonderland. Subaru was visiting ... his mother, and on his way over he ... He just couldn't take it! He only took a few steps before he fell down,"

"Was his mother nervous when he didn't come?" Subaru asked

"She was a statue," Alice sniffed "Two days ago she came back and she's furious, but she doesn't know Subaru is dead, she thought he left her! And another villain is not what we need right now, or what need right now," Alice fought back her tears "I just wish there was something we could do,"

"Well there's an ice person, why not a fire person?" Subaru asked

"Um ... there was one, one with fiery passion!" Alice said "Juri, she had red hot passion that no one could beat. But Elza, um, Subaru's mother, she placed a curse on her and no one has seen her since,"

"Oh ... I don't get it," Subaru's brain never hurt so bad, nothing made sense in this world. "But if Elza isn't a statue anymore, can't we ask her to help?"

"She won't listen to anyone!" Alice cried "But ... She doesn't know the hatter is dead, if you could pretend to be him then maybe you could convince her to tell us where Juri is,"

"What? I don't even know who I'm pretending to be, the mad hatter?"

"Yes!" Alice cried "Please help!"

Subaru looked around, he didn't know what else he could do, he did want to help. "Okay, fine, I'll help," he said "But you need to teach me how to be The Mad Hatter,"