April 13th, 2014

"Samantha Sam For Short?" Calum asked, to grab her attention. They were laying on the couch together, with Calum's head resting on Sam's stomach like a pillow and Sam's fingers combing through his hair. She was rereading her favorite book and had shushed Calum more than a few times now. He was just so bored, he didn't want to sit there in silence with her anymore.

When Sam didn't answer, Calum tried again. "Samantha Sam For Short?"

"Calum, shh. I'm reading." Sam said quietly.

"You've read that book eight times." Calum whined.

"Nine." Sam corrected him, her eyes still on the page that she'd been trying to read for the past 10 minutes. She was a little distracted, by a lot of things, but mostly by her thoughts.

"Can we do something else? Do you want to go see if Ashton's at work? He might give us free coffee and muffins again if he's in a good mood." Calum suggested, but Sam just shook her head again.

"I'm reading." She repeated.

"What part are you at?" Calum asked. He'd read the book before, it made him cry, and even though he didn't love it nearly as much as Sam did he still liked to try and discuss it with her.

Sam didn't say anything back to him.

"Samantha Sam For Short?"

"Calum, stop it."

"What part are you at?" He asked again. He was determined to get her to talk to him.

"The middle."

"That's not specific enough."

"It is."

"No, it's not." Calum sighed and Sam closed her book, setting it down on the floor next to her. "Is something wrong?"

"No." Sam said, but Calum could hear that she was crying - or almost crying.

"Sam..." Calum sat up right away, because he knew that she was upset. Calum always just knew with Sam.

Sure enough, when Calum looked up at her she was trying to wipe her eyes with the backs of her hands, not wanting Calum to see her cry.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Calum asked, noticing how upset Sam suddenly was. She wasn't like this a few minutes before when she had been scolding him for talking again, what changed?

"Nothing's wrong." Sam shook her head, sniffing once.

"Why are you crying, then? Calum whispered. He shifted positions on the couch and held his arms out, inviting Sam to come closer.

"I was just thinking." Sam said softly. She sat on Calum's lap and he wrapped his arms around her, allowing Sam to practically curl up into a ball on top of him.

"About what?" Calum questioned. Sam was still crying, silently. If there's one thing that Calum's learned in the past few months it was that Sam was a silent crier. She never wanted anyone to know when she was sad, so if she didn't have to she wouldn't.

"Nothing, it's fine." Sam whispered. She rubbed at her eyes again, desperately trying to change subjects.

"If there's something bothering you, you should tell me." Calum said, rubbing Sam's back. "I want to help you, baby."

"I was thinking too much again, it's okay. You don't need to help me, I'm alright." Sam insisted.

Sam always thought too much but she never mentioned anything about it because it rarely ever mattered to her. Her thoughts never made her this upset, it never came to a point where she ended up crying.