August 1st, 2014

When Calum woke up he was honestly surprised to see that Sam was still asleep on the couch in the living room.

He walked straight passed her and into the kitchen, grabbing a glass of water for himself. It was hours later and Calum had just started to regret what happened between him and Sam when he picked her up. He shouldn't have forgiven her.

After Calum had finished off his glass of water he walked back down the hallway, this time into Luke's room. There were a lot of things that he needed to fix, and his relationship with his best friend was most important.

Luke was asleep in his bed when Calum came in, and he quietly shut the door behind him. Calum walked over and sat on the edge of Luke's bed, like he'd done probably a million times before, and waited. He got anxious after a few minutes and decided to just walk Luke up himself bye shaking his shoulder a few times.

"Yeah?" Luke groaned and rolled over, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

"Luke?" Calum spoke softly, afraid that Luke was still kind of mad at him for everything that had happened in the last couple weeks. It had been extremely awkward between the two boys and Calum was ready to apologize for the way he'd acted.

"Yeah, that's me." Luke chuckled and sat up, not bothering to cover his bare chest.

"Sam's sleeping on the couch." Calum said, nodding in the direction of the living room.

"Oh, she stayed the night?" Luke asked. He'd seen Sam the night before, when her and Calum came back home, but it was never specified whether or not she was going to spend the night there.

"Yeah." Calum nodded again. "Yeah, she did."

"Are things okay between you two now?" Luke questioned, rubbing the back of his next with his hand.

"No, I don't think so." Calum said, shaking his head. As much as he wanted things to be okay with him and Sam he didn't think that they ever would be. He still loved her, of course, but he didn't think that things would ever be the same with them. Things could not go back to normal this easily.

"I'm sorry, man." Luke sighed, his fingers raking through his hair.

"It's alright." Calum shrugged. "I don't think I want things to be alright between us. They can't be okay."

"I know." Luke chuckled a little, glad that Calum had admitted that.

"I'm really sorry about the way that I acted for the last few months." Calum finally spoke, a huge knot forming in his stomach.

"It's okay - "

"No, Luke, it's really not." Calum sighed. "I acted like a big baby about this whole thing and you were just trying to help me but I was too stubborn to listen."

"Yeah, I know." Luke nodded slowly, biting down on his bottom lip.

"I put a lot of pressure on you, and that was a really shitty thing to do. You're my best friend, not my mother, you shouldn't have to feel obligated to take care of me." Calum continued. "I'm really sorry."

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay." Luke said, scooting closer to Calum. "You're my best friend too and I don't like seeing you upset, I was just trying to help."

"I know." Calum nodded. "Still, I'm really sorry for the way I acted."

"It's okay." Luke repeated, crawling across the bed a little and wrapping one arm around Calum's shoulders. "You would have done the same for me, right?"

"Of course." Calum nodded. He really meant it too. From this experience Calum had realized that, yes, he would do this for one of his friends if they needed him too. He didn't want anyone else to have to go through what he did.

"Good." Luke laughed. He gave Calum a small shove, pushing him off of the bed. "You should go out there and talk to Sam."

Calum stood up straight and smoothed his shirt out again, taking one last look at Luke before leaving the room.

When he entered the living room again Sam was awake, sitting up on couch and waiting for Calum to return.

"Hi." Calum said, staring down at her. Sam looked up at him and smiled, her fingers immediately going to her hair to try and smooth it out again.

"Hi." She said, standing up from her place on the couch.

"We have to talk." Calum said sternly, wanting to get his point across. He thought very hard about this for a long time, all night actually, and he knew what he wanted to say.

"Yeah, can I - "

"Sam, listen to me." Calum cut her off and she nodded, telling him to continue. "I love you, Samantha, I love you with all my heart, but we can't get back together. You left me with no warning and now you're back with no warning, and who's to say you're not going to leave again? I just - I can't risk going through this again."

"I understand what you mean." Sam nodded again. "I don't know if I'm going to leave again either, and I don't want to hurt you anymore than I already have. It was stupid for me to come back and expect that everything would be the same again."

"You're not stupid." Calum groaned and ran a hand through his hair. "I just think that it would be best for both of us if we stayed away from each other."

"Okay." Sam said quietly, looking down at the floor.

"I'm sorry." Calum sighed, suddenly feeling bad about what he'd said. "I don't want either of us to get hurt, and the only way to guarantee that is for us to be apart."

"You don't have to apologize, I get it." Sam said, twirling her hair around between her fingers. "I should go."

"You don't have - "

"I should go." She repeated, turning away from Calum and grabbing her jacket off of the couch.

"We should try to keep in touch." Calum said, following after Sam as she walked towards the front door.

"We should." Sam nodded. "I'll text you or something, I'm just going to stay at Ronnie's house for a while until I figure out what I'm going to actually do with my life."

"Okay." Calum nodded, hating the awkward feeling that was hanging around them as Sam stood at the front door and waited for Calum to make the next move.

"I'm sorry." Sam whispered, her eyes welling up with tears.

"It's alright." Calum whispered back and reached out for Sam's hand, taking it in his and intertwining their fingers for a second. "Everything happens for a reason, right?"

"Right." Sam said, pulling Calum closer to her and standing on her toes, which only gave Calum flashback of how things used to be. Sam quickly kissed him on the lips, only staying there for a second. "I love you, Calum Hood. Goodbye."

And then she turned away and opened the door for herself, quickly exiting the apartment and leaving Calum alone. Again. But he was okay. Actually, he felt better than he had in a long time.

"I love you, Samantha Green." Calum whispered to himself as he shut the front door. "Don't you forget it."

-

this was probably the worst chapter of this story I ever wrote and it happens to be the last one GREAT