Prologue

The tom waited for the she cat, his ears pricked as a twig cracked, "who's there?" He growled, he prowled closer, "Robinwing?"

"Yes?"

"You came"

"Yes." Robinwing answered, "how could I stay away?"

The tom purred, "Tulipberry can't know..." He murmured.

"I would risk everything for you Reedpelt." whispered Robinwing, "I have to tell you something.."

"What is it?" Reedpelt breathed, he stared into her eyes.

"I'm expecting kits... Your kits" she murmured, "what will Tulipberry think? Besides, she's your mate, not me!" Robinwing panted, fear rising in her chest.

"Hey, hey" he soothed, "it's ok, she doesn't have to know I'm the father..."

Reedpelt's ears snapped up, "did you hear that?" He growled, standing in front of Robinwing. A rank stench drifted from the bush in front of them, "Shadowclan" he growled.

A young apprentice stepped out. "How cute" the young but large cat growled, "what would happen if your kits were.. Say, never born?" He evilly grinned.

"Who are you?" Reedpelt snapped, Unsheathing his claws.

"Flarepaw" the cat growled, "so, what WOULD you do?"

"I don't know what you're talking about, never born?" Reedpelt growled, his heart racing.

Flarepaw laughed, then lunged at Robinwing. "This is what I mean!" He raked his claws down her face.

"REEDPELT!" She screeched as the claws scorched her face. "How dare you!" Reedpelt yowled as he raced to her side, "please stay alive.." He whispered, "think of our kits.. Strong, determined kits, one white and one red.. Please" he pleaded.

Flarepaw laughed, "you liked that huh?" He raced forward, coming in for another blow.

"No!" screeched Reedpelt. He stood in front of her, taking the blow. He gasped. The young cat's claws slicing his throat, he stumbled, falling into the rushing cold river. The last thing he saw was the menacing smirk of the Shadowclan cat as he sank away from the sunlight.. Into the darkness.