Sugawara •

{Sugawara's POV}

Daichi clapped his hands loudly, taking a subtle pride in how the sound rang out so loudly. The gesture alerted the rest of the team, who were busying themselves with extra practice. It always made me happy knowing that they were that into volleyball.

With some curious looks, they all stand in a disorganized crowd, in front of all the third years.

"Okay, guys." I grinned at all of their various confused states. "Your wonderful, fantastic upperclassmen have been seeing how well you've all been working this past week. And I mean..." Pause for dramatic effect. I glanced up at them again, seeing their heads tilt even further out of suspense. Some of them looked ready to explode. Things like this didn't happen often. I got 'em... "I guess that you guys are ready for... A five-star dinner together as a team!"

You could see the genuine happiness radiating off of all of them as they all exploded in joy, and unified hunger. Even Tsukishima seemed to smile a little. Whether it was from seeing the idiocy of the others, or he really was... Happy about the news.

Daichi and Asahi stood back to admire the energy of the team, somewhat dreading having to pay for the meal for so many bottomless stomachs.

But I stayed next to (Y/N). I always did. I looked over at the fellow third year. He had a small smile. That made the ends of my lips tug up a little more. He was really amazing. With the way he made me feel sometimes.

"Hey, you ready for the food? It's gonna be super fancy, so you better wear your sparkliest dress!" He laughed at the teasing, beautifully. Even his laugh could make butterflies appear in my stomach. But in actuality, while I was gushing over his beauty and such, I really was looking forward to seeing him in something fancy. A suit, maybe. Gosh, that'd look nice... Really nice.

"Ahh... About that," He scratched his cheek. "My girlfriend told me she wanted to shop today, for her cousin's wedding. And asked me to come, too." He finished, sheepishly. "And you know how she is..."

I felt my heart sink a little. Right... His girlfriend... I couldn't deny that she was pretty. And that I may have had a crush on her in junior high. But she was... Incredibly controlling. I've seen how she touches (Y/N) when he looked genuinely uncomfortable. And how she flirts with others right in front of him, and glancing over to see if he was affected. All those times she's dragged him around by the arm... I felt my smile fall.

She really disgusted me. Treating him like that. I would never...

"Ohh. Well you can't leave her hanging, yeah?" I rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly. "If you treat your girl disrespectfully, I'll have to come over there and hit you!" He laughed a little more. But it seemed fake. I could detect those little things.

"Right, right. I'll try to convince her to at least come with me to eat with you guys first. I'll pay for my fraction of the bill, I promise." He said. My throat went dry. "N-no, no... You should pay attention to her." In other words, don't come with her. I don't like seeing you together... No doubt she would start touching him weirdly again.

(Y/N) blinked. "Gosh, Suga... Didn't think that you'd would try to get me away so much!"

"Only because you ate half of my lunch yesterday, idiot."

"I was hungry, geez..."

~~~

{Third Person}

"Eat up, everyone!" Daichi roared, eliciting a wave of oohs and aahs among the team as the copious amounts of food were delivered.