Daichi •

[Chin up!]
transmale reader

(A/N): please dont bind your chest with bandages, your safety is important.  i describe the dangers briefly in the chapter, but i just want to put emphasis on this. and please please also dont bind when you're going to be doing strenuous activity or for a long period of time.  bruised ribs are NOT FUN, EVERYONE!

"Go ahead and go in without me. I'll catch you guys in the stands." I grinned happily at the rest of Karasuno as they parted to watch more teams face each other on the court.  We had just won our last match, and everyone planned to simply watch other games and settle our stomachs with a big dinner together.  But because my chest binder had yet to come in, I chose to wrap my chest with bandages this morning.  And now I was beginning to face the consequences.

I coughed a little into my elbow, hoping no one would come back to ask about it.  I took a few gulps of water in hopes it would suffice for the numbing sensation in my upper chest. But as soon as I breathed in to recover from my coughing fit, a small voice in the back of my head knew that I shouldn't ignore the stabs of pain in my torso.

Even taking the tiniest of steps to return back to the bathroom in which I visited prior to the game, I knew that the fact that the bandages constricting my chest was interfering with my breathing.  As it had been during the game.  I just hadn't thought much about it in the heat of the moment, I suppose.  Had I tightened it too much?  That was definitely a possibility.

My feet felt tingly as I stumbled through the bathroom door.  The reflection staring back at me from the mirror looked unfamiliar.  I just looked...  Sick.  Did I look like this before?  I brushed back some hair from my face.

God, why do I look like that?  I squinted at the reflection.  Something was off about me...

I turned my body to see it from the side.  I pinched my shirt at my hips and frowned.  Oh... That's why.  My chest wasn't entirely flat, and I think the tape must have actually come a bit loose.  Should I tighten it?  I nervously glanced at the two entrances of the restroom.  It didn't seem like anyone would walk in anytime soon.  The best matches of the day were already starting, and this was the farthest bathroom from the courts.  I looked back at myself in the mirror and took a deep breath in- which...  Was a bit difficult, admittedly...  But I could still do it.  Which must mean I can tighten it just a little more.  At least until my chest lays flat.

I quickly pulled off my jersey and laid it on my bag that sat on the ground beside me.  I began to unwrap the bandages from my torso, wincing when my ribs stung from all the pressure being released.  This felt wrong.  Maybe I shouldn't be tightening it...  I paused.  The skin around the very edges of the top and bottom of the thick bands of bandages were red. some places darker than others.  I bit my lip and just stared at myself for what felt like eternity.  I was torn on what to do.  Should I continue?? or-

"(Y/N)?  Are you in here?"  I heard Daichi's voice call from the opposite side of the tiled room.  I immediately tensed at the sound.  My heart seemed to jump through every vein in my body, and I swallowed thickly.  Panicking, I grab my uniform shirt and hold it up to my torso.  In doing so, I look up to make direct eye contact with my team captain. 

At first, neither of us knew what to say.  My face went red.  I wouldn't say that I had a crush on my classmate...  But he was definitely attractive through and through.  And while I never changed with the team or went shirtless, the idea of being half naked in the same room as him was as disheartening as I thought it would be.

"Now what are you up to?" He seemed amused.  He crossed his arms and smiled.  I wonder what he thought I was doing.  He clearly was mistaken.