Akaashi •

[Under the Sea]
mermaid au
[A/N: 1.) pls admire akaashi's live action actor 2.) i know his eyes are blue! at least now i do lol. but i dont feel like going back to fix it because it is quite frankly 2 am]

•••

(Y/N) pulled a golden veil over his head, and kept his eyes lowered. The last thing he wanted to do today was get noticed or recognized. He was merely a guard for the palace on the sea floor, so he assumed that him being gone was like a dent in the sand; It would be filled eventually once someone took note of it. The problem was that he was a high ranking guard. And people tended to recognize his face. But today? He needed a breath of fresh air. If he was discovered leaving the palace, he'd get questioned and returned back to the main hall where he was supposed to stay until his shift was over. And there's no way that'd happen without the princess on his arm, pestering him about their planned wedding.

Swimming out of the castle without any armor or weapon was terrifying. Anything could happen- a shark could come and rip him to shreds if he accidentally looked at them wrong or swum a little too close to their castle. (Y/N) has never met one because of the fact that he was young and never went out to protect the waters, but from the stories, they seem to be ruthless. He shivered at the thought of their sharp teeth and leathery skin. Because of this fear, (Y/N) carried a small blade with him in the event that he needed to defend himself.

Despite the dangers of leaving, he couldn't say it did not make him content. Working was stressful. He had to stand so straight and so still for so long. Interacting with anyone during a shift was taken as disrespectful to the royal family themselves. God forbid he fall asleep. Again.

(Y/N) had been so caught up in his worries that he almost forgot to readjust his veil. It was for his long lost mother, so he had to tie it around his head rather than tuck it into the neckpiece she was required to wear as a royal cook. The knot loosened easily, and if he wasn't careful, it'd fall off. Especially when it gets to rougher waters.

He quickly tightened the strings between his semi-scaly fingers and advanced into the nearby, underwater city. Tall, spiraling buildings made of rock greeted him as they always did. The city didn't have nearly as much gold as the palace, but it was somehow just as breathtaking.

Mermaids and mermen swum about at their own pace, carrying newly bargained clothing items, and chattered amongst themselves. Vendors and store workers called to crowds to attract them to the foods and sales happening everywhere, desperate to heighten sale numbers.

(Y/N) took a breath in as he passed the organic foods, getting a heavy whiff of the sauces used to marinate it all. It was one of those smells he couldn't get enough of.

He loved the city.

"Hey... What is that?"

"What? Up there?"

"It-... It looks like humans!"

(Y/N)'s (E/C) eyes narrowed as everyone seemed to freeze, scared out of their wits. He focused on the dark board that floated on the water's surface. From it, a figure fell off from it and began its descent down. A figure with four limbs, and with seemingly no movement as it floated without a tail or propellers.

People began to file into buildings, closing doors and putting blankets over the sea's natural lighting. (Y/N), however, decided to swim up to the figure. He wasn't a guard for nothing. He can handle it. There didn't seem to be any other human around.

As he swam closer to the figure, he carried it up to the board it fell from, taking note of the triangular piece on its bottom. It seemed to be used specifically for carrying something above the waters, but didn't move very far on its own considering it didn't have its own paddle. What was this human doing so far into the ocean with no intention to go under? With this sort of transportation, it's no wonder he nearly drowned. Generally, the only sort of human-made object they see around the palace and city would be massive, pushed along by large and dangerous blades made for cutting up those who got too close.