Kiyoko •

[Unhappy(?) Adoration]

The childhood friend trope was overdone, you had concluded. It was the idea of an unbreakable bond between humans created over years and years of being together that left a bad taste in your mouth. Sure, friendship was wonderful and all, and it took this long to build such trust with Shimizu Kiyoko. But all those years of playing friends... It'd just be weird to be dating. And it really sucks.

Really, you should be content. But were you? Of course not. Talking with her on the playground during a daycare recess time, you never even considered seeing her as a romantic interest. At that time, your little mind was full of whatever a child thinks about. But now... Seeing her so grown and matured, teenage hormones kick in. Who doesn't have romantic feelings for her, though?

Actually, that's exactly what your problem is.

Your nose slightly scrunched at the scene before you. It has gotten so very familiar, but it's still terribly upsetting. Kiyoko being faced with a blushing underclassman, shaking with anxiety as he delivers his confession.

Everyone knows that any and all confessions are turned down. Why do they bother? If it were that easy, he would have done it himself long ago.

"(Y/N)-san? Wh-what's wrong? You look... Scary..." Yachi shivers beside you. Without so much as a glance, you hunch over and angrily eat your lunch. What was there to say? 'Anyone that wants to be with Kiyoko has another thing coming'? No. That's not how this worked.

Whatever. As much as the meaningless confessions bothered you, you were sure this infatuation would blow over soon enough. Your crushes normally did, anyways.

~

Laying on the white carpet on her bedroom floor, you tossed your eraser up and down in the air idly.

The afternoon was designated to help you study for the upcoming english test, but you couldn't focus. These study sessions didn't feel as fun anymore. They used to be filled with jokes and laughter, but now, that atmosphere was torn apart by how much you seemed to be overthinking your relationship with her.

"(Y/N)-san? Are you listening?" She patiently waited for some sort of response. "You don't have much time left before the test... And I'm not sure if we'll be able to study together tomorrow. I may be busy..." With her nose in a textbook, Kiyoko pushed her glasses up.

So pretty...

You groaned and flipped over onto your stomach lazily. "I'm so tired though, Shimizuuu... I can't think properly without my daily naps..." You said with an exaggerated yawn. "Don't you know I might die if I don't get at least 13 hours of sleep every night?"

She seemed unfazed. "Well, then sleep when you get home." You rested your head on the floor, not at all bothered by the smart remark. Unable to focus on english literature, you stared at an old, foam picture frame sitting on her dresser counter. It held a class photo from middle school in its center. The memory of pushing other classmates to the side to be able to stand beside Kiyoko was vivid.

"Are you ever going to find a boyfriend soon?" The question came out without a second thought. And as soon as it was out, it was very much so regretted. "I-I meant that in a curious way, y'know- Not that I'm trying to be rude or anything?? I just wanted to know and well... Yeah." You slowly trailed off, burning with embarrassment. Not exactly from the question itself, but because of how uncool that recovery was. Absolutely dreadful.

You didn't need to look at her to know that you had caught her full attention.

"That's an odd question." She quietly replied. "I don't really know. It depends..."

You wanted to ask what that was all about, but decided against it. And so ensued the awkward silence. Just for a moment, luckily.

"What about you? Are you going to find a girlfriend soon?" It may have been your imagination, but you detected a smile in her words without being able to see her. "I know you've always been a hopeless romantic..."

You turned back onto your back to look at her. "Hmm. I don't know either, i've been thinking about someone... But it's hard, you know." Surprisingly, it was easy talking about her to... Well, her. It must have been the thought that she had no idea, or you were just that comfortable with her. It was likely a combination of both.

"Ah. I see." Was she interested, you found yourself pondering. Did she really care about your love life that much? It's never come up in a conversation like this before. Was this a sign? Were you reading too far into this? "I'm glad to hear that you've found someone. Would you be interested in bringing her to the spring festival with the team? It'd be nice to see you with someone you admired so much."

You blinked. How does one respond in this situation? "E-errr... Yeah. I guess that she can come..." Your face burned slightly. Every time you attended any celebration or event at the side of Kiyoko, your brain never fails to register it as a romantic outing.

"Wonderful. Then the date is settled." A sly, charming smile pulled at her lips.

It only took several moments to register her words.

~~~

YALL IM YELLINNNNN WHAT THE FUCK???
i literally have not interacted with this book since i still had FREE TIME IN MY LIFE
my dumb yeehaw ass decided to haul a wonderful total of four autumn extracurriculars and absolutely demolish any self care i could have ever honed

but what BAFFLES me most is that this book still gets attention????:? god i love yall??? i havent had this many reads in this many chapters since my ons bf scenarios LMAO

anyways toodles, i lvo u mwah, mwah

Next: Maybe that bokuto pt. 2 i promised lmao