seven: I, Uh, Brought Someone?

Like the day before, when I get to my locker Michelle is waiting, phone pressed tightly in her grasp. "Again?" she whisper-yells. "Seriously?" Looking up from my locker, I take the phone out of her hand and look down at it, swearing when I see what she wanted to show me was picture of Luke and I last night.

"You went somewhere with him last night?" she presses. "And you didn't tell me?" 

I purse my lips. "I'm sorry, Michelle, I really am."

She takes a deep breath before giving me a small smile. "You know what? It's okay. It's okay!" she repeats before walking to the other end of the hall — just like yesterday.

Heaving a sigh, I transfer the rest of the books from my locker and into my hand before rushing to my next class. Quickly, I set my books down in my usual spot and walk back out the door, pulling my phone out and dialing Luke's number.

"Oh, hey," he greets.

"Did you see the pictures?" I ask.

Luke laughs. "Well, yeah. I was actually hoping you wouldn't," he admits.

"Why?"

He takes a minute longer than usual to respond. "I didn't want this to happen."

I freeze, mid-pace. "I'm sorry. Honestly, the pictures don't bother me," I tell him.

I can hear his smile through the phone. "They don't bother me either," he tells me.

The line goes quiet for a minute, but I'm brought back to reality when my math teacher walks by, heading for the door.

"Uh, Luke, I'm really sorry, but I have to go, like, now," I rush out, not giving him the chance to reply before ending the call and shoving my phone back into my pocket.

Since my math teach isn't the worst, she lets me through the door with a warning, and when I walk back through the door, Emeri is smirking at me. Ignoring her, I take my usual seat.

"How did your date go?" she says, the corners of her mouth turning upward.

"Good," I say, offering her a small smile.

She raises her eyebrows. "Just good?"

I shrug my shoulders. "What else do you want me to say?"

Now she shrugs. "Well, I'm glad it was "good"."

I roll my eyes. "Thanks."

"Did he at least kiss you?" she asks after a moment of silence. I slam my pencil on my desk and turn to her, ignoring the curious stares from the others around us.

"Does it matter?" I groan.

"No," she mumbles. "Unless he didn't kiss you."

I laugh, but say nothing. After a while, Emeri realizes she's not going to get an answer, so she turns back to her notes. I, however, turn to the window and fix my attention on the people in the courtyard.

Thankfully, class goes by quickly and I don't have to do a thing but listen — though I don't even do that much.

When the bell rings, I walk into the cafeteria line with Emeri behind me, not saying a word until we sit down.

"I copied some notes for you in math," Emeri says, trying to lighten the mood.

Moments like this are when I love having friends like Emeri.

"Thanks," I say, offering her a wide grin.

My phone vibrates from my pocket and I pull it out, opening my messages.