twelve: The Best For Last

"Guys," I whine, "there's no food here."

Calum and Michael nod. "We should go somewhere," Michael suggests and Calum nods in agreement. I look over at Luke and Ashton, Ashton shrugging. I snap my fingers in front of Luke's faces and he looks up, blurting out, "July birthdays are pretty cool though."

"Like you," I reply smoothly, earning a high five from Michael.

"Yeah, yeah," he says, rolling his eyes.

The room is silent and my gaze flickers over to Ashton. "I'll meet you guys outside," I say, ushering them out the door.

Much to my luck, Ashton is the last one out the door. "Not you, Ashton," I call after him.

He turns around to face me, raising his eyebrows. "Yeah?"

"What's your deal? Ever since Luke's party you've been acting weird. You think I can't tell that you're shrugging me off?"

"You want to know what's wrong?" he asks and I nod. "How can you not tell?" I shrug, puzzlement obvious in my features. He rolls his eyes, sitting on the chair in the corner of my room.

"I didn't know that I was supposed to know," I admit, walking toward him. "I just want my best friend back."

"Best friend?" he repeats, his gaze on the floor. I nod my head. Ashton scoffs, standing up in the seat and taking a few steps toward me. "I like you, Abby," he says, throwing his hands in the air and filling out the door, leaving me shell shocked and dreading the next few moments to come.

***

"What are you getting, birthday girl?" Michael asks, throwing his menu on mine and causing it to collapse.

"I'm not sure. What are you getting, Michael?" I retort, giggling lightly.

"Funny face pancakes," he says, slamming both hands down on the edges of the table.

"So punk rock," Calum mumbles.

I chuckle at Calum's comment, adding, "From the kids menu?"

"Duh," he says. "You should try them."

I nod. "I just might," I say honestly, throwing the menus at Michael.

Michael turns to Calum, both of them having a silent conversation.

"What are you getting, Luke?" I ask, leaning into his arm slightly.

"I ate a few burgers before we came to your house," he admits.

I lean away from his as Michael calls an exact number. "You ate three burgers before you came here? Luke, what the hell?" he asks, swatting him on the arm.

He shrugs, smiling at me. "I'm getting birthday pancakes and we're going to split them."

I shake my head violently. "No, please don't do that."

He cocks his head. "Why not?"

"Because it's embarrassing!" I cry, leaning back onto his shoulder.

Luke smiles, "That's too bad, babe," he says.

I stick my tongue out at the blonde and turn to Calum. "What are you getting, Cal-Pal?"

He groans at the nickname. "Your mom," he says, smirking.

I snort into my chocolate milk and Michael erupts into a fit of laughter, slapping his best friend on the back.