Part 2: The Info Desk

The man at the dorm assignment station looked hesitant at the two before him. He could tell just by the looks of them that they were trouble. He accepted Lance's identification papers and examined them closely. Pidge started rocking back and forth on their toes nervously. Lance shot them a reassuring look.

"Everything seems to be in order." He said as he handed Lance back his papers. He then started typing the info into the computer sitting next to him to find the dorm assignments.

  They sat there silently, waiting for the right time to ask the question. Finally, Pidge nodded forcefully toward the man and glanced back at Lance.

"Excuse me sir?" Lance said, his accent prominent through his nervousness. The man looked up at him, annoyance twinging his brow as the printer sputtered out Lance's dorm and info.

"Yes?" The man asked, slowly looking up at them with an annoyed expression.

"We were wondering... if we could maybe dorm together?" Lance said shakily, not knowing what to expect.

They sat there silently, pin strait, waiting. The man examined them both closely. Deciding their motives. Lance smiled charmingly as he looked over him. He inspected Pidge the closest, who smiled nervously.

"You, the little one, hand me your papers." He sighed, sticking out his hand. Pidge scrambled to hand their papers over, nearly dropping a book. They looked very nervous.

The man examined them carefully, furrowing his eyebrows at one point. He rubbed his bald head as he set the papers down as he typed their name into the computer.

  Pidge and Lance held their breath as the man finished typing and suddenly raised an eyebrow.

"I'm afraid you two can't room together. It says here that you, Katie Holt, are a girl, and that you, Lance Mcclain, are a boy. It's school policy that people of different genders can not dorm together." He said, shaking his head. "Besides, Lance Mcclain already has a roommate- Hunk Garrett."

"That is just the gender I was assigned at birth. I'm not comfortable rooming with anyone I don't know! I have to room with Lance!" Pidge was fuming. The man looked surprised such a small person could project so much anger so quickly.

Lance wasn't going to remind Pidge that they had literally met thirty minutes ago. They seemed mad enough as it is. Plus, Lance already had a roommate, a guy named Hunk. Lance wondered what kind of name Hunk was, he may have also wondered is he was called hunk for a reason. He was suddenly jolted back to reality by a tug on the arm by Pidge. Pidge was nearly yelling at the poor guy and it looked as though they were slowly scaring him into submission. Lance wanted to laugh, but he didn't know what Pidge would do to him. He didn't want to find out either, because damn, they were scary!

"Okay, Okay, Okay! Just calm down! Until we can find a more permanent room for you, you can temporarily room with Lance. But only if the other roommate agrees. I have to remind you that the rooms are fairly small and we'd have to bring in an entirely new bed..." He trailed off, not seemingly completely sure with his decision. Pidge nodded their head fiercely and grabbed the printing dorm room number and info for the two of them. They had barely even finished printing as they hurried off.

Lance couldn't believe it had worked! Pidge was smiling confidently and caught up with Lance's longer stride.

"I can't believe it actually worked!" They said, giving an extra skip to their stride.

"I'm not surprised. I thought he was going to cry you were so scary!" Lance laughed, sticking his tongue out and dodging a pretty girl with white-blonde hair. "I just hope the dude Hunk says it's okay."

"I don't think we'll have to worry about that." Pidge grinned menacingly, adjusting the books again. Lance had a feeling Pidge would get their way, no matter what.