Part 3: The Elevator

Soon, they were out of the large courtyard and entering a huge metal doorway that led down and even bigger hallway. The paper said that their dorm was on the third floor. Pidge located a map on one of the walls and pointed to where their room was.

"Wow, imagine all the people that must attend the academy here! There must be hundreds of rooms in this building, and this is only the boys' dorms!" Pidge said excitedly, reading Lance's mind and smiling up at him. "Let's go find our dorm! Shall we?"

Lance smiled and nodded as they skipped off toward the high-tech looking elevator. It was huge and made of a very shiny metal. Lance wondered if it was new or if someone had spent hours shining it.

Lance looked down at Pidge, who was enthusiastically punching down the button quickly as many times as possible. They had a blank smile on their face as the elevator dinged open and they stepped in.

"What are you thinking about?" Lance asked them curiously as he leaned against the mirrored walls of the elevator. Pidge's smile dropped.

"My brother." They said quietly.

"What about him?" Lance asked, thinking of his own brothers, who he missed a lot already. Besides the fact that they were the most annoying kids in the world.

"How proud he would be if he could see me now." They said, looking at their reflection in the walls. "He went here you know. Graduated top of his class and everything."

"Oh? Wow. Where is he now?" Lance nodded, thinking a guy that smart must be working for NASA or something important like that.

A few seconds passed and Lance wondered if Pidge was going to answer him. He looked at the floor number, seeing they were already at number two.

"I don't know." Was all they said, tilting their head to look down at the floor. That shut Lance up real quick. He felt terrible for asking about their brother now.

Suddenly, the elevator door opened to their floor. Lance and Pidge's heads shot up.

There was a boy standing in front of the doors. His hair was jet black and he was wearing a leather jacket trimmed with crimson, both great contrasts to his pale skin and hooded dark blue eyes. Lance's jaw dropped as he gazed at the boy standing outside the elevator with his gloved hands in his pockets.

Lance was considering the fact that he had died and gone to his angsty motorcycle bad boy heaven until a slight cough from Pidge made him jump back to reality and close his mouth, the blush on his face prominent. 

The boy gave Lance a subtle once-over and smirked a little, seeing the blush on his face. It made Lance feel very self-conscious. Suddenly, he dropped his beat-up suitcase with a loud metallic thud, making Pidge jump. He quickly picked it up and cradled it to his chest with both arms.

"Is this your guy's stop?" He asked, looking at Lance, who suddenly realized he was turning red.

"Uhh-" Lance answered stupidly as the boy stepped into the elevator, his military boots thudding on the metal floor.

"Yes, yes it is! Come on Lance. Goodbye now." Pidge said, pulling Lance out of the elevator by his sleeve cuff.

"Bye Lance." The boy said as the elevator doors closed, giving him a smirk. Lance almost melted to the floor in a pool of embarrassment.

"Umm, what was that?" Pidge asked, stopping him at a small alcove down the hall, all the while giving Lance a questioning look. Lance snapped out of his daze real quick as he glanced down at Pidge.

"What do you mean?" Lance asked innocently.

"That. What just happened there?" They said, gesturing between Lance and the elevator. "You turned bright red. Did you think he was cute?" They said smiling.

Did Lance think Mr. McHotty Motercycle Dreamboat was cute?

"What? No!" Lance lied, looking away, he was too confused to even think.

Pidge looked unconvinced.

"Uh, yeah you did. I'm totally hacking into the system later and finding out who that was for you! Cause he sure seemed not to mind you either." They said, nearly jumping up and down in excitement

"What! No! Hacking? Huh?" Lance sputtered, holding his suitcase even tighter to his chest. "Don't do that! I like girls, not boys!"

Lance knew he wasn't doing a very good job of convincing Pidge. To be honest, he wasn't even doing a good job convincing himself.

"Yeah, okay. " Pidge said, giving him a knowing look. "Let's just go find our room and meet the hunk who shares it with us," Pidge said, sticking their tongue out and doing a little pose.

"I'm pretty sure his name is Hunk Pidge," Lance said, picking up his luggage and following them down the hall.

"Yeah, whatever Lance." They said rolling their eyes and speeding up their small pase.