7

Percy POV
I collapsed onto a bed and screamed into the pillow. I heard a sigh and the bed shifted. I sat up and surprisingly saw Damian. "You didn't know she was scared of you?" His voice was kind and understanding. I nodded, "All I knew was that all the sudden she became very bossy and commanding. She kept tabs on me then I had had enough. The last time the camp saw me was when I accepted a challenge from her.

"I didn't know she was scared of me. She didn't fall with me. She doesn't know what he did to me. She never will. She's too small minded to prideful. I used to be able to see past it but now, it's all I see." I put my head in my hands when I felt tears slide down my face. "It's okay to cry, Percy." Damian's voice was low and gentle. I shook my head, "No, no it's not. I'm the hero. I have to be alright. I have to continue smiling and laughing. I have to. For the younger campers. For the soldiers I command. If I break, then they lose hope." I quickly wiped my face and sighed. "I'm gonna grab a shower." I set my face again and I went to shower.

Hazel POV
"Oh Percy." I brought my hand to cover my mouth to keep me from sobbing. "What has the world done to you." I heard Datel whisper. "Tartarus destroyed him. We all knew he changed after meeting us at the doors of death but we had to fight. No one really paid much attention to it till he would practice. He was relentless. Monsters stopped coming to camp and we found out why. He was still Percy but at the same time he wasn't." Nico's eyes were sad.

His voice was heavy with exhaustion. "How long have you been fighting for the gods?" Datel asked. "My brothers and sister and Damian's fought for no longer than three years till they betrayed us." I shook my head, "Percy's fought for them since he was twelve. He's twenty now. He's the oldest demigod to live. Ever. Him and Annabeth. I've fought since I was thirteen and Nico since he was eleven. But Nico is a lot younger and he hasn't seen all that Percy has." Damian nodded, "What did you mean by the monsters stopped coming?"

Nico faltered, "They...They stopped because Percy was the nightmare they told. He was the scary story they told to scare them. To scare younger ones I guess. While they are our fears, he is theirs." Datel gasped. I tried to keep in a sob but failed. Thalia put a hand on my back and I leaned into her. "He's tired of fighting for them. But he won't stop."

Percy POV
I sighed and stepped out of the bathroom, dressed. And thank gods I was because Hazel looked up and immediately ran to me. She wrapped her arms around me and I hugged her. "I'm okay." She stepped back and hit me. Hard. I rubbed my arm, "What was that for?" I tried not to yell but it definitely came out a little loud. "Stop saying you're okay! I know you're not!" We were all surprised by her outburst. "It's okay to not be okay." She whispered.

I smiled the best I could, "Don't worry about me Haze. I'll be okay in the end." She huffed and hugged me anyway. There was a knock and I put my hood back one before answering.

I tried to hide my surprise and the familiar face, "Hey, um, nobody wanted me to get you but I was letting you all know that it's time for dinner." He rubbed the back of his neck and seemed very different. "Thank you Noah-James." I mentally scolded myself for letting his name slip. "How do you know my name?" His eyes became curious and the light in his eyes came back slightly. "Um, I know everyone." He nodded and walked off. I closed the door and was met with laughter.

"Well, Mr. Know-it-all. We're hungry." Jason snickered and I glared. They put their hoods on and we left. We got our dinner and sat down. Whispers sounded immediately. "What did we do?" Datel asked. "More like what didn't we do. Normally, we have to sacrifice half of your food to your parent." She grumbled. "Well, they aren't my parents. Not anymore." I laughed, "Don't worry. I wasn't planning on doing so." They laughed with me and we continued to eat and talk.

After a while we finished up and started heading back. It was around eleven so we decided to get some rest. I however, left to take a walk. They warned me to be careful and I promised I would be. I sighed as I took in the fresh air. I headed to the lake. I stopped and Thalia's tree and gave Pelus a pet on the head. "Hey boy. Remember me?" He sighed and smoke came from his nose. I chuckled and gave his head one last scratch before continuing. I took my hood off and sat at the waters edge.

The water tried to touch me and be in my command again but I pushed it back. If I touched the water, Poseidon would know. They water swirled, upset that it can't touch its true master. I noticed that the lake didn't shine like it used to. I frowned and placed my hand in the water a little. Immediately, the water shone with happiness. I smiled and allowed the water to engulf me. The lake cleared and swirled with life. I relished in the familiarity of the water and didn't notice a flash.

I slowly opened my eyes and continued to look out into the water. "Percy?" I mentally cursed for my hood being so far away. I manipulated the shadows to cover my head a little more. "Perseus. I had just noticed the water. It seemed dead. I touched it and it cleaned itself and came back to life." Poseidon sat beside me and sighed, "The sea refuses to listen to me anymore. I can hardly go to my own home. Ever since I wrongly trialed my son, the ocean has hated me. My son, was the sea's true master. I... it is one mistake I can never fix."

I smiled, "Well, not exactly. I won't forget what you did but I can forgive." He looked up at me and I allowed the shadows to disappear.

He gasped and tackled me. "My son!" I sighed and hugged him. After a while he let go and looked at me. "Thank you. Percy, I'm so sorry." I shrugged, "Things won't be the same."