Chapter One

Avery scratches her temple with the back of her pen as she scans over the list of clues for the crossword puzzle that is sitting on the tray table in front of her. She actually does not care for word puzzles, but if there is anything she dislikes more, it most certainly is flying. Just the thought of the five-hour long flight has her stomach in knots, and right now, the only thing she has that can take her mind away from traveling is this magazine that the previous occupant of her seat has just happened to leave in the seat pocket in front of her.

Avery looks up for a moment to see that they are still boarding the plane and quickly glances over to the two seats beside her. Flying on Christmas Day does have its perks, as they are both still unoccupied. She turns her attention back down to the magazine hoping that by some miracle, she gets to have the whole row to herself.

No such luck however, because a few minutes later Avery watches from the corner of her eye as a woman reaches to put her luggage in the overhead compartment before taking the aisle seat in her row. From the little that Avery can see of the woman, she notices that she is in a very high pair of heels as well as a very form-fitting pencil skirt. It makes her a little self-conscious knowing that she herself is wearing a baggy sweatshirt and running pants, but she would never forfeit her comfortability, especially while on a plane. She does have a lot of respect for the folks who are dressed to the nines when they travel. It seems like a lot of work and even though she sees no point in it, just the amount of effort itself is very admirable.

Avery once again concentrates her attention to what she has already started filling in on the page in front of her. When she feels her phone vibrating, she pulls it out to check the message. It is an email from Julia telling her that she was very happy that they were able to spend the last couple of days together and she wanted to wish her a Merry Christmas again. Avery sighs. Her and Julia ended their relationship a few months ago, on good terms, with Julia realizing that she really wanted to spend her life with a man in the end. Avery decided that she wanted to preserve the years of friendship they had built so when Julia moved to New York, Avery offered to help her get settled in. That hardly means though, that Avery is not still bitter about the whole thing.

Avery thinks back to when she had first developed romantic feelings for Jules. They were good friends all through their time at university together and she learned quickly that it was more than friendship that she wanted from Julia. She remembers following the other woman around like a lost puppy and how devastating it was for her when they graduated and had to go their separate ways. They kept in touch regularly at first but as time went by and they both got busier with their own respective lives, they eventually lost track of each other altogether.

A few years ago, Avery was coincidentally in the same hotel that Julia was staying at for a business trip, so they had dinner to catch up and reminisce about their college days. With the help of several Manhattans and a couple shots of Tequila, Avery confessed to Julia that she had spent a very long time pining over her. One thing led to another and when Avery woke up the next morning with a very naked Julia in bed with her, she knew that she was in trouble.

Thinking back on that now, Avery smiles to herself. That was the beginning of an eight-month long, whirlwind romance and if you would ask her, the relationship lasted longer than she even believed that it would.

After the most civil breakup conversation she has ever had with anyone, Avery vowed not to ever get involved with another straight woman again.

Avery is brought out of her thoughts when she hears the flight attendant speaking to her.

"Miss, the cabin door is now closed and locked. We are going to begin our takeoff shortly. Could you please put your tray table up?" The woman asks.