Chapter Twelve

"Hello there, little one. I'm your Aunt Ryan." Ryan whispers, trying to keep her voice down so she does not startle the baby too much. "You are such a handsome boy, yes you are."

Avery smiles as she leans over Ryan's shoulder to glance at the newborn, eyes still barely open but he looks attentive.

Ryan can see Avery from the corner of her eye, so she slowly turns her head towards the blonde and smiles.

Avery grins and then looks down at the baby again. "Hey, little guy. You're so adorable." She says, and she touches the baby's cheek lightly with the tip of her finger. Then she lowers her voice a bit more so that only Ryan can hear her. "Almost as cute as your Aunt Ryan." She says as she chuckles at her own comment.

Ryan rolls her eyes and walks over to the bed so that she can give Tatum her son back. The doctor had just finished up the discharge papers and everyone is very anxious and excited to get home, but none more so than Tatum, who seems to be surviving on pure adrenaline. "Are you ready to get out of here, Sis?" Ryan asks already knowing the answer.

Harry helps Tatum into the wheelchair and immediately she reaches out for her baby. "Yes, I am. And are you ready to go home, my handsome Reese?" Reese Jameson is the name that her and Harry had finally decided on. As it turns out, Harry hates the name "Harold" almost as much as she does. The baby coos as if to answer his mother and it makes everyone in the room smile.

"Why don't you and Harry go home and get a little bit of rest and we can make a run to the grocery store and buy a few things to make dinner tonight?" Claire says as they are all making their way down the long corridor of the hospital wing.

Tatum nods. "Yeah, that sounds good, Momma."

Ryan agrees. "A nice meal at home does sound really good."

"Avery, do you have plans for dinner?" Jameson asks.

"Umm... no, nothing in particular. I was going to just go check into the hotel and maybe order room service." Avery lies. When she sent a message to Julia earlier, they had actually made plans for dinner, but she is not too sure that right now is a good time to bring that up.

"A hotel?" Tatum asks incredulously. "That's nonsense! Ryan, Avery can stay at the house. Why would you invite her to come with you and then make her stay at a hotel?"

"It was actually my idea." Avery admits. "I didn't want to impose."

"Well, Avery, Tatum's right. You really should just stay. The room that Ryan uses has a large bed and I don't think she will mind sharing it." Claire adds. "We can cover the cost for your room cancellation."

"Oh, no, Mrs. Shaw. That won't be necessary." Avery nervously tucks her hair behind her ear.

"You really should just stay, Avery. "You don't want to waste your time arguing with the Shaw women. You won't win." Ryan finally says with a sly grin.

Jameson hums and nods in response. "She's right, Avery. Take it from an old veteran." He smiles.

Avery chuckles at this. "Alright. I'll stay. But, I do actually have something that I must do first. Um... I told a friend that I would meet her for a drink. I can just take a cab there, and then meet you all back at Tatum's place for dinner. It shouldn't take me very long."

"Oh?" Ryan says as she furrows her brow at Avery. When the realization of which "friend" Avery is referring to, she tenses up noticeably. "Well, yes, of course. I'm sure that your friend is looking forward to seeing you." She says a bit harsher than is necessary. "I'll just send Tatum's address to your phone."