Chapter Thirteen

"Are you sure you don't need help with cleaning the dishes, Jameson?" Avery asks again. "I would really like to help since I wasn't here to help with preparing dinner."

"Avery, you're our guest. Guests don't have lift a finger under our roof." Jameson says with a smile. "Ryan will help me dry the dishes and we'll be out of here before you all even get through the beginning credits of the movie. Now, go on. Go join them in the living room."

Ryan squints her eyes at her father's suggestion. He has always loved doing the dishes for his girls, because it is usually a nice way for him to wind down the evening. And he hardly ever needs help drying, and certainly never asks. She does not protest though, and just nods instead, walking over next to him with a towel, ready to help when Avery finally concedes and leaves them to do their work in peace.

They work in silence for a moment, and after a few dishes, Jameson finally speaks up. "So, Avery is a very sweet girl." He says cautiously.

Ryan sighs. She should have seen this coming. "Daddy, I expect this from Mom, but not from you."

"Hear me out, Honey." He says with a stern look.

Ryan sighs again and just nods. "Yes. She is a very sweet girl."

Jameson hums in agreement. "So, tell me about what happened at the dinner table earlier."

Ryan frowns in confusion. "I'm not sure I know what you're talking about." She says honestly, very curious about what her father might be referring to.

Jameson looks over at his daughter and sees genuine confusion. "I already know what you're going to say, but I'm going to ask anyway. I got the feeling that you really don't like this friend that Avery went to see today. You've been very irritable since we all parted ways at the hospital."

Ryan blinks a few times, unsure of how to answer. "I mean, I don't know the woman, but from what I've heard, I guess I was just very surprised that Avery even wanted to see her at all."

"Well, it was quite evident that you were upset, Darling." He turns away from the sink and towards Ryan then. "I think that you may be harboring some feelings for Avery that you may not want to admit to."

"Daddy--"

"Nuh, uh." He says as he holds up one wet, soapy hand. "I'm not trying to start an argument. I just wanted to make you aware of it because I know if I see it, then your mom and sister surely see it as well, and they will not be nearly as sensible with you about this as I am trying to be with you right now."

Ryan frowns because she knows that he is right. "Daddy, we're not dating. I know that is probably what all of you are thinking."

"It doesn't matter what I think about your love life, Babygirl. All I've ever cared about is what you think. And I know that I don't speak up nearly enough for you when your mother is pestering you about it. But, whatever it is you want or don't want with Avery, I approve. You just need to eventually find it in yourself to do the same. I have never told you this because I promised your sister I would not say anything, but Silas is a outright fool for letting you go, and if he's the reason that you are constantly holding yourself back, that's really a shame."

Ryan sighs. "I'm not holding myself back, Daddy. I'm just so busy. All the time. And I'm about to get busier. Things were convenient with Silas because we worked together and he understood that my schedule is hectic. I will not have Avery, or anyone else, feel like they are being neglected because I work sixty plus hours a week. That's unfair to them. I really enjoy spending time with Avery and to be honest, yes, I was a bit upset at her for going to see her ex-girlfriend today, but it was only because I know how heartbroken she still is. I just really don't want to see her hurting over it."