Chapter Twenty

Jane is laughing at something one of her regulars is saying to her when the sound of the front door opening grabs her attention. She turns to see Ryan coming in and it completely takes her by surprise. It has been a little over a week since Avery spent the night on her couch because she was too drunk and tired to make her way home. She heard that night about what happened between her best friend and Ryan, and no one will have to question where her loyalties will lie.

Ryan walks up to the bar and hesitantly takes one of the empty barstools. When she sees Jane studying her, her anxiousness level rises. "Hello." She says after taking a deep breath. "You might not remember me--"

"Oh, I know who you are." Jane says. She is not rude but she does not want to waste any time on pleasantries either. "What can I getcha?" She adds with her best customer service smile.

Ryan swallows the lump in her throat. "Um... I'll just take a glass of water. I have to go back to work after this." She says, not really knowing why she feels the need to explain her drink preference, even though she feels a little awkward ordering water in a bar.

Jane eyes Ryan suspiciously and wants to tell her that she needs to leave if she is not a paying customer, but also wants to hear what she may have to say. So, she nods and fills a glass with ice and water, drops a coaster down in front of the brunette, and places it down for her.

"Thank you." Ryan says quietly.

"Sure." Jane says before turning away.

Ryan stops her. "Jane, have you seen Avery lately?" She asks.

Jane humors Ryan with an answer but she keeps her tone uninterested at best. "Yes, I have. She's been busy though so she hasn't come around here much." She adds that last bit hoping that Ryan will take the hint.

"She won't return any of my phone calls and I just really need to speak to her." Ryan says even though she can see on Jane's face that she has no real regard to what she has to say.

"Well, that's a real bummer. Maybe you shouldn't have broken her heart." Jane says as she turns towards Ryan and puts both hands on the bar top.

Ryan flinches at Jane's comment. "That's fair. You have every right to be upset that I hurt your best friend. But, I promise that I'm trying to make it right. I just need to talk to her." Ryan pleads.

Jane sighs. Ryan seems sincere enough, but that does not mean that she is ready and willing to throw Avery back into a shitstorm. "Look, Ryan. I like you. I mean, I don't know you, but I don't tend to doubt Avery's judge of character. She just needs some time, okay? I mean, whatever it is you want from her or want to tell her will have to wait until she is ready to see you again. Pardon my French, but that whole thing with Julia fucked her up, and she dealt with it in a very unhealthy way when she decided to keep Julia so close to her even after they ended things. I want to say that she seems to value her friendship with you a little more than that, which is why she is keeping her distance. You need to let her get over you, first, you know?" Jane says matter-of-factly, adding a shrug for good measure.

Ryan frowns. "But, the thing is, I don't want her to get over me." She says sadly. "Jane, I made a huge mistake and I want to correct it."

Jane squints her eyes at Ryan trying to understand. "Wait. You don't want her to be over you because...?" Jane asks cautiously.

"I want to tell her that she wasn't the one that screwed things up between us. I was the one that screwed it up by lying to myself about how I really feel." Ryan says.

Jane smiles. "And how do you feel about Avery exactly?"

"You're really going to make me say it aloud, aren't you?" Ryan asks as she grins.