Chapter Fourteen

"I have a non-fat, extra hot, no foam, two-Stevia latte for Ryan. And a mocha with extra whip and cinnamon powder for Avery." The barista calls out.

"I'll go get them." Avery says as she rushes off towards where their drinks are now sitting on the counter.

Ryan looks up from her computer and watches as Avery swerves around the people that are standing around in the crowded cafe. Earlier this morning when she slowly found consciousness again after a very long but amazing night with Avery, her sleepy eyes were met with bright, piercing green ones. The smile on Avery's face was so sweet that it made her insides feel all knotted up. She wanted to stay right there, and in Avery's arms all day long, but instead she reluctantly forced herself up and out of bed. She had to remind herself that whatever they have going on between them is and needs to stay casual.

Whenever she and Avery spend time together, with or without them ending up in bed, Ryan has expected there to be an awkwardness that follows immediately after. And yet, that has never happened. Her mind drifts back to last night. Even though she knows that it is not what Avery would want, after their conversation, she sees the younger woman in somewhat of a different light. The woman she has gotten to know over the course of the last few weeks, is strong and independent. She always smiles easily and lives as though she has no demons, but Ryan knows now that is not entirely true. Neither of them has brought up the conversation again and Ryan knows that is probably for the best. At least for now. She is still watching Avery as she heads back to the table with a brilliant smile on her face and she could not help from smiling back at the blonde.

Avery places Ryan's coffee onto the table, careful not to spill it as the mug is extremely full. "Here is your incredibly ridiculous coffee order, beautiful lady." She says with a smirk.

Ryan rolls her eyes. "Stop exaggerating. It was not even that bad."

Avery laughs. "Tell that to the poor barista that was taking the order and had to make it."

Ryan shakes her head as she brings the mug up to her mouth, carefully taking a sip. "Mmm. This is delicious." She says before placing her drink back down into the table. "How did you know about this place, again?"

Avery takes a drink of her mocha. "Well, it was one of the few places that I liked when I was here a few weeks back." She hesitates for a few seconds wondering whether she should add her next thought and does so anyway. "It is pretty close to where Julia works..."

Ryan hums when she remembers the sole reason for Avery's trip to New York before was to help Julia get settled in. "Oh, I see." She says slowly before turning her attention back to the computer screen.

"You really are super cute when you're jealous." Avery says teasingly with a grin as she leans over the table towards Ryan.

"Don't flatter yourself. I was merely acknowledging your last statement." Ryan says trying hard to hide the irritation in her voice but realizes right away that her tone is too harsh.

"Alright, alright." Avery concedes with her hands up in surrender. Ryan's comment stings her a bit, but she does not want to argue or push the subject further, so she just gets up and walks over to a coffee table where there is a disarray of already read newspapers. She shuffles through them until she finds what she is looking for before walking back to their table. Then without even a glance in Ryan's direction, she takes another sip of her drink and opens the sports section from three days ago.

Ryan immediately feels a pang of guilt the moment Avery gets up and walks away from where they are sitting. When Avery sits back down in her seat, Ryan tries to make eye contact so that she can apologize, however she finds Avery avoiding her gaze. She finally slides her computer over to the side so that she can lean over on the table towards. "Hey..."