Chapter Three

As they drive up to where Ryan lives, Avery looks over in surprise at the high rise she has just pulled up to. Oh, man. There's even a doorman. Geezus. "So, home, sweet home, m'lady." Avery says as she tries to mask any nervousness in her voice that she might have.

Ryan chuckles. "Thank you. And thanks again for dinner and the drinks."

"It was my pleasure. Thank you for spending your Christmas with me." Avery says with a smile.

Ryan nods. She had completely forgotten that it was the holiday and she has still not made any phone calls home. She will have to do that as soon as she gets inside. "Well, thank you for sharing yours with me."

"Uh, thank you for calling me back?" Avery laughs. "Evidently, we can keep this going all night long."

Ryan can see the blonde's green eyes twinkling as she laughs, and it makes her smile. "Let's save it for another day, shall we? I really should get upstairs and make some phone calls home."

"Ah, yes. You should probably do that. With it being the holiday and all." Avery says as she nods awkwardly at Ryan. When she sees the smile on the woman's face brighten, she lightheartedly continues. "So, am I right to assume that there will be another day, then? I mean, we'll see each other again?"

Ryan smirks. "Well, I do happen to have the next two days off and honestly, I don't even want to think about work at all until I have to be in the office again. Do you have anything going on tomorrow or Wednesday?"

Avery bites down on her lower lip as she thinks about her schedule. "Tomorrow is Jane's day off and I told her we can do whatever she wants to since I've been in New York for the last couple of weeks. And Wednesday, I have to work..."

"Ahh..." Ryan shrugs. "Maybe when we are both less busy, then? You know how to contact me and I now have your phone number as well." She reaches for the handle of the car door and opens it.

"Actually, you could come with me?" Avery says before Ryan can get out of the car.

Ryan turns back towards Avery to see that the woman is beaming at her. She shuts the door again. "Pardon?"

"I mean, you could come with me to work on Wednesday. It'll be fun. I promise."

Ryan narrows her eyes at Avery, but she has to admit that she is intrigued by the proposition. Then she shrugs again. "And I suppose that you're not going to tell me where it is that we are going until we are actually there?"

Avery laughs. "It will be much more fun if it is a surprise. I can pick you up on Wednesday around eleven. We can have brunch or something and then you can come with me onsite."

Ryan just shakes her head but smiles at the absurdity of it. "Sure, alright. I'll bite. Wednesday, at eleven. Send me a message when you're on your way and I can give you my door number or come down and meet you."

"Okay." Avery says with a nod. "I look forward to it. And I hope you have a good night."

Ryan smiles. "Good night, Avery." She says as she exits the car and walks towards the front of the building.

Avery watches as Ryan walks into the building. The brunette stops to talk to the doorman and he looks as if he is genuinely happy to see her. Then Avery continues to watch as she leans in to give him a tight hug before walking away, further into the building.

Avery considers for a moment everything that has happened today. Meeting and then striking up a very quick friendship with a woman who just happened to be sitting in the same row on her flight. It all sounds so crazy, even to her. But, before she can overthink any of it, she looks in her rearview mirror, turns on her blinker, and drives off towards her apartment.