D E C O R & A L C O H O L

Kandy Karter

"You literally have no idea how many times I have imagined you and me on that kitchen counter-"

"-making Pastries and Cupcakes for our customers?"

Amelia sighs as she shakes her head at my reply. No matter how many times I have told her not to distract me while I decorate the cake, she never listens. She thinks it's funny and sexy to make me horny during my work times.

"You're no fun, Karter." She says, her lips turning into an adorable pout. I gaze at her as she nibbles on her lower lip and gives me a teasing wink suggestively. I turn my head away from her and focus on the cake that I have been trying to enhance.

"Well I would've considered your thoughts if you didn't want me only as your F buddy," I say and she passes me a sad smile, a mutual understanding passing between us.

She knew I liked her but Amelia was a business lady and she probably only thought of me when she wanted to distract herself from things. Though I know I couldn't blame the girl, she was very cautious and careful when it came to relationships. Her previous boyfriend turned out to be a douchebag and lord knows that girl left everything for him only to end up in tears.

If I was her boyfriend, I'd never make her go through all the shit he had made her go through, let alone see a single tear in her eyes. Amelia was really beautiful from inside out. Her blonde hair reached her shoulders and I swear she is forever wearing her business suit. Her naturally pouty lips and her kindness can bring any man to the ground, yet she chose to mourn over the douchebag.

"Well, I'll see you later I guess." She says awkwardly and exits the cafe with her usual latte. At the same time, the entry doorbell rings bringing me out of the sense. I walk to the counter and put on my best smile I greet my customers, yet again busying myself in the joys and beautiful laughs of the people.

By the end of the day, I was exhausted but nevertheless, it had been a good day and that was all that mattered to me. All I wanted was customer satisfaction and indeed I was successfully able to obtain that. I couldn't be happier than this.

"I'm gonna go grab some drinks from Friday man, would you like to tag along?" Antonio, one of my co-workers and also one of my friends, looks at me expectantly. He has been insisting me every night to 'loosen up a bit'. He is the only one who thinks I had lost my charm with girls, the overly loaded female customers tells me otherwise. Now now, not to sound like a self-centered jerk but I can make out a difference between a girl who wants a pastry and a girl who wants a personal candy. By far I had received more than thousands of personal digits written on tissues since I've opened my very own cafe and it has been only 2 years, to say the least. I didn't throw the numbers away though, I knew how bad rejection can hurt. So what I would do is message them with a sweet text such as 'I'm genuinely sorry but my heart belongs to another. But hey, you're beautiful and deserve the best.' There are times when few of the stubborn females don't think about giving up, I end up blocking them, in a genuine and respectful way.

"You should probably go Kan, it has been a tough week for you and you deserve some break," Maisey says while pulling her apron off from her shoulders and hanging it on the hook to the wall.

Maisey was one of those people with whom you can share your life story and they wouldn't judge you a bit. She was 38, the oldest staff here. She had a loving family and would sometimes invite me over to dinner. She knew how much I missed my family. They were all in San Francisco.

"Alright then, but I'm not drinking."

Antonio agrees and pats me on the back before rushing to the parking lot to bring the car.

"How's Amelia by the way?" Maisey's eyes twinkle and a teasing smile forms on her face.

"She is as beautiful as she'll ever be."

"Oh boy, you're sighing at the wall again and I'm way too familiar with that look of yours Mister."

"I can't help it." I shrug my shoulder and give her a goofy smile.

"Yeah well, I'll close the cafe, you go. Wouldn't want to keep Antonio waiting."

"Thank You, Mai."

I kiss her cheeks and give her one last grin before walking out of the cafe.

I was wearing my sky blue t-shirt and dark blue denim, one look at the outfit and I think that would suffice. It's not like I was going there to impress anyone.

"See that hot chick over there?"

I tried glancing at the figure Antonio was pointing and I only rolled my eyes when I realized that he indeed was wasted because definitely, a female statue of the Friday lady was a lot more appealing to my friend than the real ladies in here.

Friday was one of the bars that sold varieties of alcohol. Some even said that the drinks that were imported from the countries cut down the prices of the alcohol because they thought the owner of the bar was a mafia gang leader. Though I would've begged to differ considering this is where most of the commoners end up after a tiring day, and the bar hardly looked like it belonged to some Gangster.

"Alright, that's all for today Tony." I grab his arm as he started falling off his stool.

"Oh man, my head hurts."

"You're gonna have the worst hangover. Feel free to skip work tomorrow." I said, rolling my eyes at my friend's stupidity. He knew he was a light drinker yet today once again he ended up drinking way past his normal count.

"Let's get you home, Big man."

"That's Big Mac."

"Sure."

Later that night, after dropping Antonio home I parked his car in his garage and left the keys on the TV table. It was stupid of me to not bring my own car today, but the night was peaceful and I could use some alone time, so I decided to walk all the way to my apartment building, which was not so far from here.

My home could get lonely at times, not that I was complaining but I really wish I had somebody to love. Somebody as sweet and kind as Amelia. Somebody who loved pastries as much as I do, I swear I'd forever bake pastries for her if she tells me to.
I was a 25-year-old Bachelor with no love life, seriously even my teen customers have a better love life than me.

I sigh at my thoughts. Maybe Antonio was right, I needed to loosen up a bit.

________________________________

First Chapter of the book, please leave feedback, I'll be happy to hear from you guys.

Vote/Comment/Share.