W A T E R & R U L E S

"Can I skip work today?"

"No."

"My arms and legs are burning, Miss Donovan, I won't be able to work."

"It's still a no."

"Why do I even need your permission for this?"

"Because."

"You're not my favorite person this week."

"Glad."

An uncomfortable silence passes between them as Valerie continues to round the paths with the pencil on the map. She was gearing up the plan to haul the gold from Alejandro and his puppets. Next week, they were supposed to transport the gold in the local town in Spain and Valerie was marking the pathway and the exit so she can get out of everything without no clue of her existence as such. Of course, she had already informed her special force to be ready at any given moment. She was so ready to do 'The Italian Job' in Spain.

As for Maria Jose, she was staying in her hometown for over a week now, which was also in Spain. Valerie knew Spain with the back of her hand, she knew the secret paths and the most crowded locale. After all, she had been there for an entire year.

She remembers the time when she had held an innocent woman at her gunpoint, and the way the woman pleaded to Valerie to not take her life. She had kids and was a single mother but she had worked hard enough to build herself an empire in the name of her kids. Valerie, that day, took not only the life of the woman, but also forced the woman to sign the fortune to Valerie's name. Valerie had taken away the wealth and was forced to leave the kids behind, all alone. Orphaned. That day Valerie realised she was no different from Maria Jose.

Valerie was a monster and there was no fact that can deny the same.

Valerie stares into the distance, her eyes seemed remorseful as she remembers the sins she had committed. It was the third time when Valerie had taken the life of an innocent, but she didn't know it would be the beginning of everything. Ever since then, she had become stone cold, moved with rock over her heart, looked with the sight that can only be considered evil. She was gone before she even got the chance to save herself.

Valerie's gaze shifts to Kandy who had been watching her thoroughly, trying to figure out the look and emotion she had on. Upon that, Valerie goes back to her usual cold self, her eyes casting glare to his way. And then, she looks away. Because she only recognized herself as a monster under his gaze, nothing more.

"Mr. Karter." She starts, staring ahead at nothing in particular. Her voice intact.

"Yes?"

"I want you to know certain things about Maria Jose."

"Who is she?" Kandy leans forward, now interested to know why Valerie had been making a big fuss about her.

Valerie throws him a death glare, "Didn't I tell you to not question me?"

"I just-"

"Do not interrupt me."

Kandy huffs before sighing. This was alot more harder than he had thought. Yes, he had expected this but he didn't know he won't be allowed to talk or make decisions in his own house for his own self. He knew it wasn't fair, he also knew he got to do something about it, but every time when he decides that he won't follow Valerie's drag, he ends up doing just as she says. It has been a week since she had been living in his house, commanding him with everything. She made him work all day and get little sleep and honestly, he was tired and physically exhausted. He even had a slight change in his emotions, he found very hard to keep the smile on his face due to all the tiredness. Kandy was having a hard time keeping up with everything and he needed a break.