Chapter 2

This chapter isn't as long as my first but I'm going to try to keep my chapters in the 3,000-5,000 word range. I don't like writing short chapters. Also, there aren't going to be many chapters with Murtagh because I don't know him enough to write about him and stay true to his character. The next chapter will be about Eragon. But anyway, happy reading and I don't own Eragon but I wish I did. Read&Review!

After some labored flying, Thorn was able to rest in a clearing a league away from Gil'ead. Picketed in the clearing were Snowfire and Cadoc, who snorted nervously at Thorn's seemingly abrupt appearance. Murtagh immediately slid to the ground, and attended to Thorn, looking for potential injuries while Brom readied the horses with the elf woman who had aided in their escape. For some reason, the elf in question had looked reluctant to leave Gil'ead. It must have been the drugs, Murtagh thought, shaking his head. Why would she want to stay in the Empire?

I'm not hurt, Thorn's deep voice rumbled in his mind. I'm just tired.

Thank the gods above, saidMurtagh, breathing a sigh of relief before fiercely hugging his dragon around the neck. Thank you, what you did was incredible, Thorn. I will never forget it.

You can thank me by staying out of harm's way. If Brom hadn't been able to give that dragon such a large dose of his sleeping potion, I do not think I could have stood up to her; she was many times my size. I'm sure she would've chased us all the way to the Varden.

At that, Murtagh hesitated, remembering the words that the tall armored man had spoken to him when he was still locked in his cell. I don't think so. At this he shared the memory with Thorn, who seemed intrigued by the revelation.

"Murtagh!" He turned as Brom came up behind him.

"What?"

"What? What do you mean, what?" Brom asked incredulously. "After all I went through to get you out of that hole, that is the first thing you say to me?"

He immediately backtracked at the old man's anger. "Sorry! Sorry! I'm just a little jumpy right now."

"Aren't we all?" He glanced at Thorn. "How's he holding up?"

"He'll be fine, he's just tired." Murtagh said, running a hand over Thorn's ruby red scales. Brom gave him a sympathetic look.

"He'll have to carry you for a little longer. We have to get as far away from Gil'ead as possible. I'm not sure how long the sleeping potion I gave that dragon will last, not to mention that Durza might be on our trail," Brom explained. At this, Thorn got to his feet, crouching for Murtagh to climb up onto his makeshift saddle. "We'll follow you from below."

"If there's any trouble, tell me." Murtagh said as Thorn pushed off of the ground with his hind-legs. As they flew, he chanced a glance back in the direction they came from, half expecting a large blue dragon to be on their tail, a fearsome man riding atop of it.

That dragon was much larger than me. I could not have beaten her. He could hear the slight sense of shame in Thorn's thoughts, for if he and the blue dragon were to go up against each other, Thorn would certainly lose because of his size and lack of experience in battle.

Remember that you will eventually grow as big, Thorn.

Yes, but that dragon will also be growing as well. Unless we receive proper training, we cannot fight such opponents as those and expect to win.

Acknowledging Thorn's statement, Murtagh finally realized something that was bothering him. How do you know the dragon was a female?

Thorn grumbled, amused at his question. I can tell the differences in genders of my own race.