Chapter 4

Another chapter everyone! I'm grateful that you've all loved the story so far! I'll try to keep it that way. Happy reading to everyone and don't forget to review. Eragon = CP.

After two days of traveling, the two of them eventually reached the Beor Mountains. Gabranth had to admit that, when he caught sight of the mountains against the setting sun of their second day of travel, the sight had been breathtaking. It was much different from the plain brick cities he was accustomed to visiting. That night as they were camping, he found himself staring up at the star filled night. I never knew how beautiful the night sky could be.

Come to think of it, this is the longest that we've ever been out of civilization. It makes you take in the sights around you with a different view, doesn't it?

It does. He sighed. They were close to Orthiad, he knew. And once they overcame that, they would be heading straight for Farthen Dûr. Had his mother already made it there, he wondered? Had she met Brom or Murtagh yet? There was a reason why Gabranth had always hated being alone. When he was alone, he liked to think, and thinking always brought realization — which in turn brought pain.

He ran a hand through his messy, light brown hair. He didn't want to admit it, but he was afraid of meeting his mother again, at least with the possibility of meeting his father and Murtagh. Would she refuse to return with him to the Empire? He shook his head; that was a stupid question. Of course she would. Why would she abandon happiness? He knew her. His mother would rather die instead of abandoning a chance at being happy. She didn't care for jewels, power, or recognition. She had only a desire to be happy.

And he understood that desire. He wanted to laugh like he used to as a child without the burden of being a rider; without Galbatorix hanging over him. To smile freely. Maybe if he were stronger, he wouldn't have ended up as aloof as he was now. His thoughts soon wandered to Brom. He snorted. No matter how many times he tried to avoid such a topic, his mind would always bring it up. Why did he abandon him? It was a question that as a child, he had always wanted answered. But who else could have answered it besides Brom? Was it because he didn't want a child? Seeing him with Murtagh made the hurt in Gabranth's heart grow even larger and the hole even deeper.

Why would he care for the son of his enemy? The person who had used him from the very beginning when they were training as riders? He had killed Morzan and yet, he cared for the Forsworn's son and not his own? Gabranth simply didn't understand. Why would he help Murtagh and yet abandon him? His own son? Then, before he could stop them, his thoughts soon ended up wandering over to his half-brother. What was Murtagh like?

There was no doubt that he was much kinder than Gabranth. He had probably not even taken a life by his own hands yet. But he also had a father that he hated, he was sure of that. At least they had something in common besides blood. But everything else made them complete opposites. Did he have a happy childhood? Was he surrounded by family and friends, while Gabranth was surrounded by generals and soldiers? Just thinking of it made him begin to get angry. His mother went out of her way to get Murtagh out of the King's clutches, and yet she let her youngest son suffer a fate so horrible. He was being stupid. Now he was blaming his mother.

Deep down in his heart, he could never be angry at her, even if she did let him live such a life. She was one of the select few people besides Saphira that he cared for greatly. If anything it was his fault. For by giving in to Galbatorix, he might even have brought her more pain that happiness. My existence was a mistake.

Now you're being an imbecile. Saphira, who had been quiet throughout his entire thought process, suddenly spoke up fiercely. You've tried your best to live the right way. Stop blaming yourself, Eragon. You were young and defenseless. If the great rider Vrael fell to Galbatorix, then what are the chances of a twelve year old against him?