Chapter 8

Well, another chapter up! You can't believe how excited I am to write the battle in Farthen Dûr next. I'm going to keep this short and sweet so you could all go on reading. :) I don't own Eragon. But still happy reading! R&R!

As Ajihad had expected, a scout returned two days later, bloodied, wounded and speaking incoherently about a mass of Urgals traveling to Farthen Dûr. The Varden started preparations the same day; women and children were sent out to safety in the surrounding valleys. Oil and other flammables were collected and poured where he had directed. Large defensive stakes were made and placed at the tunnel entrances. During the preparations, Eragon found himself standing in a circle of three women with a dragon hatchling in their midst. Saphira volunteered to help with the stakes.

They stared at each other, Eragon finding the situation unnerving. With the revelation of Angela's prophecy, he studied Arya more carefully. Everything Angela had said fit her description, except for noble birth and heritage. Yet, when he had first met her, she had displayed such authority; he thought he was indeed talking to a princess. "But my lord!" Desdemona said indignantly, interrupting his train of thought. "How can we help defend you if we're guarding the hatchling?"

"You can help a great deal." Eragon replied. He did not understand why both women glared at him with such intensity. Despite being a Rider and a half-elf, he had never understood the ways of females. To try to interfere was to tread on alien matters that one could not hope to comprehend.

"Why not have Finny and Bard guard the dragon?" Rosalie asked. The woman, who normally was very kind and gentle natured, was fuming on the spot. Saphira — who had been watching from his eyes — let her amusement wash over their connection. You have much to understand of women if you ever intend to take a mate. They can be deadlier than the sharpest of swords.

Indeed. He had learned firsthand how odd women could be, by having a female dragon as a life partner. "You know as well as I do that Bard and Finny will sooner forget the presence of Arya's dragon than to protect it." For a reason unbeknownst to Eragon, their tempers only rose higher.

"My lord, what of your mother?" Desdemona challenged.

"She and Brom are going to remain in the Dragon Hold as well, so you may guard the three of them together."

"What of your own safety?"

"What of me?" he said. "I am fully capable of defending myself. Though I am grateful you are concerned for me." He bowed his head slightly at them. "It would please me for you to take on this task, for I trust only the two of you to do it competently."

When he lifted his head, they were standing there, quiet and resigned. Finally, Desdemona spoke. "We shall guard the hatchling with our lives along with Lady Selena." Arya, who had been quiet throughout the entire argument, spoke.

"I thank you for your assistance in this matter."

Rubbing his temple, Eragon thanked the gods that the ordeal was over. "I'll leave the three, no, four of you," he corrected as the green dragon let out an indignant half squeak, half roar at being forgotten, "to your own business."

Turning on his heels, he left their presence with relief. That was an odd event. Usually Desdemona and Rosalie were very agreeable with anything he could ask them to do. However, when he had instructed them to guard Arya's dragon, they went into a rage. He came to a stop by Orik, who was directing Finny where to put the stakes. The dwarf glanced up at his approach. "That looked like a rather nasty scene, those three women."

"Aye that it was."

"Your servants are very helpful, Argetlam." Orik said knowingly before gesturing to Finny. "His strength is unnatural."