Chapter 13

Alright another chapter! And can you believe how excited I am? They are about to enter Ellesméra! Finally! In any case, R&R!

Traveling was made easy atop dragon back, though it was unusual, as Eragon had to sit behind Arya for the entire journey. He did not mind, though — her presence was soothing to his mind. She spoke little and preferred to sit in silence, perhaps speaking to her dragon that flew below them. Eragon would have liked to travel all the way to Ellesméra, but for some unfathomable reason, Orik insisted that they visit the dwarf city, Tarnag. He felt apprehension settle over him as he thought of the visit. Eragon was young, but he was far from lacking intelligence. The dwarves would not take well to seeing Murtagh as one of their kind and when looking at him, they would only see him as an enemy, for what the Forsworn had done to the dwarves.

He felt rather sorry for Hrothgar as they approached the city. It was a bad choice of options for him to begin with. To choose between the son of a Forsworn, or a Rider who had served Galbatorix for four years. With Nasuada having claimed Eragon, he was left with Murtagh. Without warning, he felt Saphira lean forward towards the ground, folding her wings to her side. Fully bringing his arms around Arya as if to hug her from behind, he tightened his grip as the wind blew past his ears in what sounded like a scream and Arya's hair whipped him in the face. From anyone's point of view, it looked as if they were going to crash into the ground, but at the last moment, Saphira flared out her wings on either side of her and brought them slowly to the ground.

My, that was rather exciting, was it not? Saphira craned her neck to stare at them with one large sapphire eye, the corners of her mouth lifted in a grin. He rolled his eyes.

"A warning would have been nice, wouldn't it?" he said, watching as Thorn landed in front of them and Arya's dragon by their side.

"Barzûl!" Orik grumbled from where he sat. "Another dive the likes of that and I'll surely lose my life from fright, instead of dying honorably on a battle field."

Honestly, it was not that bad, remarked Saphira, turning her head to take in the sight of seven Feldnûost running towards them with dwarves atop their backs, sitting in what seemed to be bejeweled saddles. The lead dwarf, naming himself Thorv, spoke to Orik and Arya, and they replied in turn. He then instructed his companions to form up around them and without further prompting, led them through the tall city gates of Tarnag.

Unlike the other dwarven cities Eragon had visited, Tarnag was not built with the height of other races in consideration. Hanging throughout the city were the dwarves' flameless lanterns. Jumping down from Saphira's saddle, Eragon landed steadily on the ground and the other three decided to do the same, Orik seeming highly relieved.

From there, Thorv led them through the streets of Tarnag, which were crowded with various dwarves, all of whom stared at them. Though they initially held respect in their eyes, the respect turned instantly into outrage at the sight of Murtagh's helm etched with the hammers and stars of the Ingeitum. He bent his head closer to Arya, to whisper into her ear, "It appears Hrothgar's adoption may bring more trouble than he had intended."

"It may already have done so." Arya's green eyes swept the crowd as they approached a great hall. As they neared the hall, a group of armed dwarves streamed out from between the houses and formed a thick line, blocking the street. Eragon felt his face harden as he stepped forward, his hand hovering over his blade. Long purple veils covered their faces and draped over their mails.

Their dwarven guards mirrored Eragon, reining in their Feldnûost, their faces hard. He glanced to the side as Orik came to stand next to him, a hand on his axe. Are they refusing us passage?

It would seem so, Saphira replied. He saw out of the corner of his eye how she wrapped her tail protectively around Arya's dragon, still too small to defend itself.