Chapter 3

Well, this is my third chapter. I'm happy to know that you guys enjoy this story so far. I'll try to keep it that way. And as for your suggestions, I'll keep them in mind. But this chapter is about Eragon and hopefully you'll get an insight of his life. Happy reading! I do not own Eragon but I will continue dreaming.

The large castle doors flew open at his approach, slamming hard against the walls. If he had thrown them open any harder with magic, Gabranth was positive that they would have gone flying off their hinges. Practically stomping down the marble hallways, he took four sharp turns before arriving in front of the two beautifully carved black maple doors that preceded his mother's chamber. He threw them open, seeing how nicely kept the room was only adding to his frustration. Spinning on his heels, he made his way to his servants' quarters. Surely they wouldn't have let his mother waltz off with the intentions of going to the Varden by herself! She may have been Morzan's Black Hand, but that was well over sixteen years ago!

No matter what he told himself, everywhere he went, his castle was empty of any living presence despite him. Gabranth had known that it was futile to search from when he first set foot in his castle grounds; he had found his stable cleaned of his horses. It was only then that he found a letter addressed to him in the banquet room, lying on the long table. It was written in elegant script, meaning that Desdemona must have taken the liberty to explain to him why they weren't here.

Lord Gabranth,

We are dearly sorry for leaving the castle uncared for and deeply regret leaving during your absence. However, we couldn't let Lady Selena embark on such a dangerous journey by herself. You said yourself when you hired us to serve you; we should protect her ladyship with our lives. After seeing how determined she was to leave, we decided that the best way to keep her from getting hurt was to accompany her ourselves. I give you my oath that nothing will befall her and that we shall arrive safely at our destination, the Varden. And we hope that you will not be long in following. If things work out, we shall see you at Farthen Dûr within a week's time.

Your faithful servants,

Desdemona, Finny, Bard, and Rosalie.

Letting out a frustrated yell, he crumpled the letter, throwing it to the ground. Faithful servants? By the gods, they should have knocked her out or locked her inside her chambers. You know they wouldn't do that, not to your mother.

But the Varden! He protested, walking towards the exit. It's almost like sending her to her death! What was she thinking, casting her fate with that lot?

Maybe she was sick of staying indoors so much. You know how much she longed to leave the Empire.

Before he could angrily retort, a soldier ran up to him, bowing as he stopped barely a foot in front of him. "What is it?" he asked, barely managing to contain his anger.

"His majesty w-would like to see you, lord Gabranth." He stammered, realizing the rider's fury. He hurriedly dismissed him. Shall I accompany you?

No, stay and rest, we have a long journey ahead of us. The castle that he had always lived in was given to his mother by Galbatorix. Apparently it was a gift to her when Morzan died to show how much Galbatorix appreciated the red rider's loyalty, giving it to the person closest to him, his Black Hand. However, it had also allowed the king to keep an eye on Gabranth ever since he was a child, for the castle was not far from the king's own majestic palace.

Entering the palace, he nodded to a group of passing soldiers who saluted to him. The guards were expecting him as he came upon them. They swung the doors open and bowed to him, before closing it shut after he entered. He wasn't surprised to find Durza already kneeling on the red carpet before a very displeased-looking Galbatorix. He stopped next to the shade's form, kneeling as well. "Your majesty."