Chapter 12

Alright, this is the Arya chapter, please tell me how you feel about this so I can fix anything with the upcoming Arya POV chapters. And also, I would like to answer an interesting question brought up in the review. Why did Brom stay in Carvahall? Answer: Thinking that Selena was dead, he thought that the thing he should do to honor her memory was to see that her only son was brought up correctly. :) I hope that cleared up some confusion. And as for Eragon and Arya getting together, you'll see. Anyways, R&R!

No one moved, not a single soul breathed a word as Eragon Shadeslayer knelt before Nasuada, offering his blade and his loyalty. Arya was displeased with his position, she would even go far as to say that she loathed its necessity. He was right though, she thought as her eyes drifted over to the dwarf king, his own expression blank. In a game such as this, they were just mere pawns. Hrothgar would without a doubt bring Murtagh under his influence. She returned her eyes to his kneeling figure, watching as Nasuada touched the tip of his blade to his forehead. His expression, she thought, looked rather resigned.

Arya watched as he stood, stepping back with Saphira. With shouts of approval, the crowd rose to their feet, dwarves hammering their boots to the ground, while human warriors banged their swords against their shields. The noise made her sensitive ears want to bleed.

After a few more speeches by various personages—including a still glowering Falberd—the amphitheater began to slowly empty. She waited until Eragon had stepped past the council, ignoring their heated stares and outright distaste. "You've earned some powerful enemies today."

His expression was grim as he sighed. "All the more reason we should leave Farthen Dûr — and soon." As she took in his appearance, she noticed that he appeared tired beyond his years. It was a feeling Arya would frequently have when around him. The feeling that he never really enjoyed himself; that he found everything in life a bother. She would never speak of such matters to him, though, for she hardly knew anything about him. The lack of understanding made her curious. She knew Murtagh; knew him enough to know what made him uneasy and what did not. But Eragon was a mystery to her. She did not know how he felt when he would see her. He always wore the same expression, a blank stare, as if nothing interested him.

They left the amphitheater together. As soon as they were out of the large open area, Eragon's servants were upon them. "My lord!"

Another mystery. One would expect that none of the four of them were especially talented in any way. But they had proved their worth during the battle of Farthen Dûr. Finny, who seemed to be the youngest, no older than twenty and no younger than sixteen, was always smiling. Or at least, he was when she saw him. He would give the impression of a young man that did not have a care in the world; in contrast his unnatural strength was daunting. Bard, who seemed to be the oldest in appearances, looked like he was in his late twenties. He had proven himself to be an apt spellcaster. Rosalie was a skilled healer, and Arya knew nothing of the small petite woman called Desdemona. Both looked as if they were in their early twenties.

Eragon turned to her, his expression changing very slightly, she noticed. His brows dipped forward and the corners of his lips lifted slightly. He was apologetic for the interruption. Arya nodded and without a word, she turned and left, with her dragon following at her heels. It intrigued her as to why they served Eragon with such loyalty, going so far as to step in harm's way for his sake. Nearly everything about him was shrouded in mystery. Entering her room, she sank down onto her bed, grateful that the day was over. Another funeral . . . and that brought her thoughts to Fäolin and Glenwing. Were they buried properly?

No. Now was not the time to grieve over the past; there were more important matters that demanded her attention. She could not ignore them. Ellesméra . . . it has been too long. What would her mother say? Knowing that her only daughter, the only heir to the knotted throne, was a Dragon Rider? Would she accept it? It just made the situation more tenuous. The danger had increased tenfold. From princess to ambassador, and now to Rider.