Chapter 11: WICKED HQ

AVA'S POV
I pace around in my large, spacious office, which once was Anderson's. The thought of Anderson makes my thoughts drift to Rheana. She is so different now than she was before, and I would do anything to get my daughter back on my side.

I only wish she'd comply voluntarily. I wish we could be a family, just the two of us. I shouldn't have injected the virus into Anderson. She wouldn't be this defiant if I hadn't.

But we needed a cure. And that's the one thing that I'll place above her. A cure. The cure.

"Chancellor Paige," Janson says, and I spin around quickly.

Janson stands at the door, face pinched in frustration.

"Janson, how many time have I instructed you to knock?" I say, an eyebrow raised.

"I'm sorry, Chancellor Paige, but I carry important news on Rheana Anderson," Janson says.

My heart rate speeds up and I motion him into the office.

"What news of my Daughter do you have?" I say, managing to keep my tone levelled.

"They're currently travelling here, to Denver," Janson says slowly.

My eyes widen. "Are you positive?"

"Yes, Chancellor Paige. They're on the way," Janson confirms. "As well as Thomas and the remaining Group A and B. And some of their newfound friends."

I nod slowly. "Get ready Group 5A. Make a surprise. Rheana won't be expecting her old teammates."

"Teammates...?" Janson says, frowning. "I thought she was kept in solitary."

"She was. They trained together, though. Well, not really. They fought each other," I say slowly. "Chancellor Anderson had commanded that our daughter needed real opponents."

Janson nods. "Of course then, Chancellor Paige. I'll send them out right away."

Janson leaves hurriedly, walking out and shutting the door behind him.

I look towards the photo of Anderson and Rheana at my desk and walk over to it. I pick it up and stare at Rheana, who's grinning, sitting on her father's lap.

I missed the time when she was younger and used to love both me and Anderson. But all that has changed. The Rheana I knew doesn't exist anymore, and I can't do anything about that.