Chapter 12: In Denver

RHEA'S POV
The moment we pass the borders of Denver, I sense that something is wrong. Just wrong. The sense of wrongness is so strong that I can't help but glance around warily.

There are people watching us. People from WICKED. And I've spotted two already, at the entrance. And they're tailing us.

They're also familiar. I know them, but I can't place from where. My foggy memory can't seem to dredge up their faces from the depths of my memories, and I decide to just keep on high alert.

"Jorge speed up," I instruct.

"What's going on?" Brenda furrows her brows at me.

Brenda, Jorge, Sonya, Newt, Thomas, Minho and I are in one of the minivans. Quill, Aris, Frypan, Harriet, Maria and June are in the other one, which is currently following us from behind.

"Nothing," I lie. "We just have to hurry. Park out there." I point towards a building not far away.

Telling them WICKED is after us would destroy my entire plan. I know how Ava works. I'm counting on her predictability.

Minho shoots me a look which I can tell means are you ready?

Thomas glances back and then at me but doesn't say anything. Sonya is looking between the three of us. It's tense in the car.

Jorge parks the minivan and we all hop out. I welcome the open space and air. I look around and notice the two very familiar people. It clicks then.

Group 5A.

This isn't good. But it serves me well anyways.

The other minivan parks next to ours and the girls and Aris and Frypan get out.

"So," Aris rubs his hands together, looking around the loose circle that we have formed. "Any ideas on where we're going?"

"Follow me. We need to get to Hans," Jorge says, starting off, Brenda right at his heels.

I decided to actually meet Hans, though it isn't wise. I have no other choice. He's going to have to help me if I want to execute the plan that I came up with with Minho and Thomas.

"Where's Hans?" Thomas questions as we step into the city.

"He's not far away," Jorge answers. "Just follow me."

Hans. He hates my parents. I'm not sure what had happened between them but one day something happened and Hans left. He'd made it clear how much he hated me before he left though. He had almost killed me in front of my parents. Too bad for him that I had a knife.

I'm pretty sure he's going to remember me, even though I stabbed him where the injury wouldn't be permanent. Even though I was only twelve when that incident occured.

~

Hans, as it turns out, lives in an apartment not too far away. Jorge knocks on the door but doesn't bother to wait for Hans to open it. He just barges right in.

"Woah woah woah!" Hans shouts. "What the heck, man!"

The boys walk in first, then us girls, me being last.

The minute I walk in, Hans sees me. And he, of course, recognises me. The hooded girl. I shut the door behind me and I see him snatch his knife off the table.

"Rheana Hunter Allios Anderson," He growls. "What a pleasant surprise. Brought her here for me to kill, Jorge?"

Instinctively, the girls move in a protective, loose circle around me.