Chapter 13: The Plan

RHEA'S POV
I lace my fingers with Newt's and squeeze his hand. I notice the symptoms easily and it's getting worst. A cure needs to be found, and soon.

"Hey, it's fine," I say softly.

Newt just nods, stiff.

I keep close to Newt, because I don't want anything unexpected happening. The device Hans put in me still feels electrifying.

We walk through the city and I notice how careful Newt is in not making contact with people. It actually pains me to watch him like this.

"We should camp out. It's getting late," Thomas says, glancing at me.

He's carrying out the plan now.

"He's right," I agree. "We don't want to be walking around once the sun sets. It's too dangerous."

"Yeah. Let's go," Jorge says, nodding.

"Where to?" June asks.

"Just follow," Brenda says.

We aren't on a very crowded street. There's only a few people here. A few people here.

"Newt," I say softly.

But they've already surrounded us. My hand releases Newt's and I pull out two long, sharp knives. I scowl.

"Well just our luck," Jorge makes a face, examining the faces that surround us. "Group 5A."

"Glad you recognise us," Roger, a tall, muscular brunette says.

I clutch my knives tighter. "Ava sent you. To surprise me."

"Didn't work, I see," Daniel, the blond, lean boy says.

"You were a tiny bit too obvious," I point out.

"Pity," Lidia, a short, black haired girl, joins into our conversation wearing a smirk on her face. "Catching Rheana off guard would have been amazing."

"Too bad," Brenda mutters.

Then a knife is flung from Gina. At me. I catch Minho's eye for a second. He nods.

I shift subtly. The knife sinks into my chest. I gasp, stumbling backwards.

Someone shouts my name. Newt.

He catches me before I fall backwards and I struggle to breathe. Spots are clouding my vision and I can't see. I can't breathe. I can't feel.

Can't feel anything but the burning agony spreading from that blasted knife all around me. This may have been apart of my plan, but the pain is definitely not welcomed.

I feel my eyes drift shut, the pain becoming too much, and the last thing I hear is Newt screaming my name.

~

I wake up in a brightly lit room. My whole body hurts and I close my eyes, wanting to sleep again. For once, the world decides to be kind to me, and I fall right into darkness.

TERESA'S POV
I speed walk to where they said Rhea is being held in. Where Rhea is recovering. Because she was stabbed in the chest. She'd almost died. Actually, she did. But she had a device installed in her that was able to restart her heartbeat. Plus, the knife stabbed her where it might not have kill her.

People who didn't know Rhea would think that it was an unexpected accident. A tragedy. Though I don't suspect many people care much for her.

But I know Rhea, though we never actually talked. She doesn't go down so easily. And that device wasn't from WICKED either. This was planned.

When I walk into the Medical Room, I spot Rhea, lying awake on the bed, her arms and legs strapped loosely to the bed. She doesn't have her hoodie on.

It's the first time I've seen her without it and I'm caught off guard. She looks so... at ease. So calm, in a way I have never ever pictured her in.

She doesn't look up or look my way upon my arrival. She just takes in a deep breath.

"Who took my hood off?" She says.

"The Doctors. And only the Personal ones. No one else saw you without it," I say slowly.

She shakes her head. "How is it?"

"It's... rather well. You may have to rest a bit more. You should be well enough tomorrow though, with all these advanced healing equipment, and your heart device," I say, checking her X-ray results.

"You have already taken blood to use haven't you?" She says slowly, a wry smile twisting her lips.

I turn to face her and start undoing the straps.

"Why? Why did you get stabbed?" I ask, ignoring her question. "What games are you playing?"

"No games," She says. "I just couldn't have them coming after me."

"Explain," I demand.

"I want a cure to be found. But I will not let WICKED put more innocent kids into the Maze. My blood has always been special, from the start," She says, drawing the words out slowly. "I wanted to volunteer as a testing subject."

"Why get stabbed though?" I say, not believing her one bit.

"Because if I came here, they'd come for me. And I just want them to be safe," She says. "And alive. All of them."

Then it clicks. And I believe her.

"Newt," I say, sucking in a breath. "He's infected, isn't he?"

"I need to find a cure for him. I don't care what it takes," She says, and there's a flash of hurt that passes across her eyes. "I don't want him to turn out like them. I don't want anyone to."

"You love him don't you?" I ask slowly, watching her closely.

She averts her gaze, swallowing thickly. But I still caught the expression of longing and agony resting in her eyes.

"Maybe I do. I don't know. All I know is that I can't let him die," She says slowly. "I won't."