Chapter 21: The Truth

RHEA'S POV
Only Ava calls me Rheana. Janson said it to aggravate me. I don't know if he expects me to feel guilty for what I did, but this just annoys me.

"Why are you here?" I ask through gritted teeth.

"Well," Janson says, slowly bringing down his hands. "This might not be a good time to have this conversation, but we need to settle this. It's called... revenge."

"For?" I almost roll my eyes.

"Don't act dumb, Rheana," Janson scowls, then notices Andrew. "And I see you've figured it out. Pleasure to see you again, Andrew Hunter Allios."

I'm so close to firing.

"Who told you? Ava? Didn't think she'd have the guts to admit it to you," Janson provokes.

"No. Teresa told me. She didn't know."

"Jorge," Janson says, shifting his attention to him. "I'm surprised you and Rheana managed to work together, taking your rough past together."

"Shut your mouth, hermano," Jorge says, eyes narrowing.

"I mean," Janson goes on, an eyebrow raised, "it was you whom I commanded to throw the knife, wasn't it? You were the one who scarred her face. Gave her all these problems."

"Janson. Why are you here?" I ask again, my voice cold.

"I didn't think you'd have the guts, you know," Janson says, spinning around to face me. "I mean, that's a level higher, even for you."

"Really?" I smile sardonically. "Strange, given that I'm known for executing my threats."

"You shot your Mother in the heart," Janson barks out a laugh. "Who is, not only your Mother, but also the chancellor of WICKED. You shot Chancellor Ava Paige in the heart and walked away as if you shot a Crank."

"I told her I would," I narrow my eyes. "She deserved it, for everything she's done to us."

"You're more than you let on," Janson replies.

"You want me dead," I say, amused, and it isn't a question.

"Killing Ava's and Anderson's kid would be a shame on me," Janson says, and I flinch at the mention of my father's name. "No, I'm not here to kill you."

"But you want to."

Janson snarls. "Of course I want you dead, Rheana. By right, you should be in charge of WICKED. I mean, you've been trained your whole life for it."

"Why are you here?" I ask, my boredom and annoyance seeping into my voice. This tiring back and forth we've got going has to end.

Janson scowls. "Because I came to warn you. The world is going to become normal again, and we need a system. A government to control the people. You may be a threat to that system."

"You're starting Genesis," I say slowly, a terrified feeling creeping up my spine which I hide easily.

"Yes."

"No."

"You know what it's about?" Janson asks, slightly surprised.

"My Father was good at many things. But he was always not very thorough when it came to me. Too careless. I read the files." I shake my head. "And there's no way you can do it."

"Watch me."

"Janson, think sensibly. Genesis isn't going to work. If anything, it'll make things worse," I argue, knowing that it's a hopeless case.