Chapter 23: Across the Globe

NEWT'S POV
Rhea talks to the two kids, Tessa and Andrew, at one corner, and I study Andrew, her Brother. Her half Brother.

He and Rhea have very few similar features. Where she is drawn in, he knows how much he stands out with his striking looks, though he doesn't address it. But he knows it's there. And he knows others do to.

He's got the same fair skin, as well as sharp jawline and stiff stature. But his hair is brown, and his eyes a light blue. That is the most distinct difference between them-Rhea's eyes are so majestically dark blue, and Andrew's is such a light blue it's like someone is sucking the blue out of them.

But where features lack in similarity their build makes up for it. Both are lean and athletic looking, always tense and ready to attack. Their eyes both carry a certain guard that no one gets past, a silent warning to others. And they both have knives hidden in their boots and belts.

Minho talks to Jorge, Harriet and Sonya, while Tommy, Quill and Maria talk. Teresa and June are piloting the berg.

I sit on a crate, Aris next to me.

"So, are you and Rhea a thing?" He asks.

I turn to him in surprise. "What?"

"Like, a thing. Because I treat Rhea like a sister, and I want to know what stuff happens to her so that I can hold someone responsible," Aris says, only half joking.

I rub at the back, feeling a little awkward. It's not that I don't like Aris. I'm just not all that close to him, and talking to anyone about me and Rhea, especially since it's so new... I kinda wanna keep it to myself first. "I don't know, man," I shrug. "We haven't really sorted that stuff out yet. You know, with everything going on."

Aris nods, as if he completely gets in. "Yeah, well in case you need to know, I think you're great for her. I mean, Rhea deserves the best man. She's already been through so much. She needs someone she can rely on for support. You're that kind of person," Aris says, patting me on the back and then standing up. "Talk to you later, Newt."

I nod awkwardly. "Yeah. Thanks."

Rhea glances over at us just then, and her eyes dart from me to Aris, her brows furrowing as she meets my eyes in a silent question. I give her a smile to tell her not to worry about it.

Before she can turn back to her conversation with Andrew and Tessa, Sonya speaks up.

"Hey, it's land!" She points at the large window before the control panel, and I join her side. We've been flying over sea the entire night, and I don't know a thing about geography, but I was wondering when we'd be over land again.

Now as I look down, I see land approaching us, and my brows furrow.

"Where are we?" Minho asks, joining my side, glancing over at Rhea.

"Australia," Rhea says casually, as if it was normal to just take escape WICKED, steal a berg and fly all the way to Australia. Despite my lack of geography knowledge, I know that Australia is on the other side of the world.

Thomas blinks, looking at Rhea as if she were crazy. "Australia?"

"Yes," Rhea rolls her eyes. "As in, that large country in the Oceania continent."

"We're across the globe," Jorge states, checking the coordinates. "Why the hell are you bringing us to Australia? To see the Sydney Opera House?"

I have no idea where or what that is, but Brenda lets out a snort and Teresa shoots Jorge a flat look. Minho gives me a confused look, and I just shrug at him, equally clueless.

"We're heading to Canberra, actually," Rhea leans back against the wall behind her, crossing her arms.

"Why?" Minho asks, flabbergasted.

Rhea sighs. "You should know by now that WICKED has many facilities," she starts, as if it's common knowledge. "But that was before all the safe zones got infected. Some still stand. There's one right here, in Canberra, Australia. Those who worked there were either moved to Denver or killed because of the virus. The one here was only infected two years ago, right before I was sent into the Maze."

"Wait, how do you know all this?" Harriet asks, but Rhea ignores her.

"The facility here is rather well stocked with weapons, food, water, clothes and showers. It'll be a good place to rest," Rhea concludes as Teresa starts prepping the berg for landing, working with June. "Plus, there's someone there whom I know of who can help us."

"Wait," Harriet says again. "How do you know all of this?"

Rhea waves a hand in front of his dismissively. "My parents were both powerful people. They needed to do quite a bit of travelling. For training purposes, I would follow them to the other WICKED facilities."

"Powerful people? How so? This world is destroyed," Tommy says, looking at all of us as if to see if we understand. "And even so, Ava only became Chancellor before I was sent in. She wouldn't have the authority to travel, right?"

"As I said, powerful people," Rhea shrugs.

"You mean your father as well?" Tommy won't stop asking questions.

"Tommy," I intervene, and he turns to me in surprise. I cross my arms, giving him a slight shake of my head. "Lay off."

Rhea shoots me a thankful look, and I see the tension ease from her shoulders.

"Wait," Harriet says again. "Who is this person that can help us?"

Rhea raises an eyebrow. "Does it matter?"

"Yes," Quill speaks up.

Rhea glances at Andrew, who frowns.

"The facilities all have specially chosen leaders, friends of the family. They're spread out across the five main facilities. The one in Russia, the UK, Singapore, South Africa and here, Australia. Of course, the most important headquarters is the one in Denver," Rhea says. "I've travelled to all the facilities quite a few times though, and I know the leaders well. All family friends."

"You haven't answered the question," Maria points out.

Rhea runs a hand through her tied-up hair, biting her lower lip. "The leader of Australia," She says slowly. "Is my father's Sister."

There's a brief moment of silence.

"Your Father is dead, right?" Frypan asks without any semblance of regret or sympathy.

Rhea pinches the bridge of her nose. "Yes. And I haven't seen my aunt in a long time. She still stays at Australia to oversee everything. Though she's probably alone with her personal guard and..." Rhea exhales heavily.

"And...?" Minho prompts her to go on.

Rhea shakes her head. "Never mind. We're already here. Andrew, Tessa, tell the others to pack up. We're leaving."

"What about the berg?" June asks.

"They'll bring it to the hangar bay later," Rhea answers.

She glances at me for a second, as if to ask if I'm okay with all of this. I give her a slight smile and a nod, because I'd follow her anywhere.

"Come on. We're gonna touch down soon," She tells everyone.