Chapter 20: The Arrival

MINHO'S POV
The question plagues me. Is she alive?

Newt looks terrible. His hair is in a mess, his eyes have bags underneath them and he barely talks to any of us. Most of the time he stares out into empty space, and I wonder if he's hoping Rhea would walk through the walls and suddenly appear. It worries me, really, and yet I'm relieved that I don't have to lie to my best friend's face.

"What's that sound?" Harriet-who sits near the window of the hotel we're staying at that's also totally deserted-questions.

I frown and walk up to her. "What sound?"

"Shh," She shushes me. "Listen."

I do, and I hear the slight sound of a whirring of a machine.

"A berg," Thomas says, eyes wide, looking at me.

"WICKED?" Sonya asks, from where she sits next to Newt on a sofa, her voice slightly hoarse.

"Who knows?" Quill says, scowling.

"We should check it out," Brenda says, frowning. "Get your weapons, guys."

I grab a gun and slip on my jacket. Now isn't exactly a hot month. Thomas is the first out of the door, followed by Newt, who had managed to make his hair look at least presentable.

We all walk out to the field area behind the abandoned hotel building. My eyes widen when I see the huge air craft in the air, making the grass blow and my hair fly around wildly.

I'm barely able to blink as the berg slowly lowers itself on the ground of the large garden where the grass is mostly yellow and overgrown with weeds and the flowers are wilted.

I tighten my grip on the gun, ready to shoot if WICKED personnel start coming out.

The berg lands, and the hatch opens up with a hiss. Two people walk out. Two very familiar people.

My breath catches.

"Rhea," Newt breathes out, at the same time that Thomas says, "Teresa."

Relief crashes into me, because there Rhea is, alive, and I when I turn, I see Newt standing there, eyes wide and disbelieving.

Rhea doesn't have her hoodie on. She's wearing a black jacket instead, and her hair is tied up messily, her eyes searching through the crowd. She's all black in colour, even her t-shirt, combat pants and boots. The scar. It isn't there anymore.

She and Teresa both look clean. Clean and well and not injured. And Rhea is very much alive.

"What...?" Harriet says, her voice cracking slightly.

Rhea and Teresa stop a few feet in front of us, and Teresa won't look at us. Rhea however, takes her time to slowly examine each of us. Her eyes land on Newt and I see the way her shoulders lose their tension, and the way her lips part slightly to form him name.

Newt starts forward towards her, but his pathway is cut off when Jorge throws an arm in front of him to stop him. I'm about to protest, especially when I see the way Rhea tenses, as if ready to attack anyone who would even touch Newt, but Jorge gives us a warning look.

"Are you sure this isn't a trap? It might not be her," Brenda says, frowning suspiciously. "It might be another one of WICKED's tricks."

"Tell me something about you," Jorge says, eyes narrowing.

Rhea tears her gaze away from Newt to look at Jorge. "I really hated you," she says bluntly.

Jorge lowers his arm, a breathless laugh leaving him. "Oh, it's her alright."