Chapter 14: Insane

NEWT'S POV
They had taken her away from me too quickly. They had drove away too quickly. She had died too quickly.

And I don't know how to feel, how to react, how to understand, how to believe.

Because she was my anchor to the world. Sure, she was full of secrets and lies, but we had a connection. We had an understanding. She was my gravity, keeping me grounded, bringing me back to reality.

Beautiful and mysterious and far away all at once.

I feel worser with each passing hour. Things aren't turning out so well for me.

Rhea isn't dead, Rhea isn't dead, Rhea isn't dead.

But I saw her die. She died in my arms. And right after she did, they took her away. And now she's not here. And everyone is just in slight daze because she's Rhea. She's supposed to be the best of us. And she died.

We're in a hotel room. It is an abandoned hotel but still in good condition. We all ran here and just into the room.

I feel insane. I want Rhea. My head hurts. I'm going insane.

MINHO'S POV
The worst thing about this plan is that I'm not sure it will work. The chances of her surviving was only fifty percent. There's a fifty percent chance she's dead. And a fifty percent chance she's not.

Nonetheless, I can't look at Newt.

He sits on a chair, elbows resting on his knees, head held in his hands, looking shocked. He seems to be shaking.

"She really is dead," Quill speaks up for the first time.

"No. She can't be," Sonya says, rubbing her forehead. "Guys this is Rhea we're talking about. She doesn't just die because of a knife."

"Things happen, girls," Frypan says slowly. "Accidents happen."

"No," Sonya insist. "I won't believe she's dead."

Harriet shakes her head. "We can't hope. WICKED's got her body. There's nothing we can do."

"Except move on," Brenda speaks up. "We can't stay here for too long. WICKED knows we're here. We need to get moving."

"Rhea was not supposed to die," Jorge says. "Group 5A would be sent to the Scorch if she is dead."

"Why?" Newt speaks up. "Who is Rhea?"

"What do you mean?" Quill asks slowly, watching her words when it comes to Newt right now.

Newt scowls. "Well obviously she knew them. How? And why would Group 5A be sent to the Scorch? Who were her parents?"

I run a hand over my face and shake my head. "It doesn't matter."

"No," Newt says, his voice rising. "I want to know."

Jorge sighs. "Her parents were very important people. Still are."

"That doesn't answer my question," Newt says, scowling deeply.

"It's not my secret to tell," Jorge says.

I'm slowly realising how real it was. She had stopped breathing and the knife went straight to her chest. As the minutes past I find it harder to believe that she's alive. I can't tell. But chances are so small.

And it's all terrible. This is all insane. Rhea knew people would get over her quickly and that's what's happening. Except for some, like Newt, Sonya and Aris, this seems to not affect many. This is insane.

SONYA'S POV
Newt is not his normal self. He looks terrible. When Rhea was around, he would always control his temper and he would always be down to earth.

Now, though, he's getting mad easily and he seems to be in space.

I stand up and walk up to Jorge, my gun suddenly in my hand. Jorge has his hands raised and is backing up.

"Hey, hey!" He shouts.

I bring the gun to his forehead.

"Answer the question. Who are her parents? And how do you know so much?" I say, scowling.

"Listen, I had just come to terms with Rhea. I'm not going to break that trust we built, even if she is dead," Jorge says.

"Hey, Sonya!" Minho shouts. "Put down the gun why won't you?"

I listen, shoving the gun back into its holster at my waist. I have to remind myself that she isn't dead. But it was so real. I really can't tell.

"She isn't dead," I say, looking Minho in the eyes. "Right?"

Minho rubs his eyes with he heels of his hands. "I don't shucking know."

"What do you mean?!" I shout. "Rhea can't just die like that!"

"Well she did, okay!" Minho shouts, finally breaking. "And I don't know what you want to hear but that's all I've got to say."

Quill loses it all too fast. She and Rhea haven't been close lately but they used to be partners back in the Forest. Always understanding each other, always knowing each other.

She suddenly kicks a chair. Then she throws a glass at the wall. And she punches the wall and it cracks. All the while, her shouts echo within the room

No one stops her. Because she's got so much pent up emotions and I want to join her but I then see Newt, who looks so broke and different.

"I'm gonna go out," He says, standing up, and then walking to the door without another word.

"Newt, wait!" Minho shouts, but Newt doesn't listen.

I want to go after him but I know he wants to be alone.

This is all insane.