Chapter 8: Epiphany

April 3

Ryan

After breakfast, I stand outside in the spot where the reception on my sat phone is the best, holding Ana's list in my hand. I've been dreading this call even more than I usually dread calling Joe. Just as I'm about to dial his number, I hear the sound of a helicopter approaching. I duck behind the cabin as the chopper flies over, heading in the direction of the crash.

Despite my resolution not to leave Ana alone in the cabin again, I went back to the crash site again yesterday morning to see if there was anything I missed or anything she left behind. But as I was driving up, I heard noises indicating human activity. I killed the engine in my ATV and crept up to the site as quietly as someone with a crippling limp can. The crash had been discovered. Police officers, US Marshals, Mountain Rescue, and even news station employees were swarming all over. I quietly returned to my ATV and drove home as fast as I could.

I punch Joe's number in and call. He picks up after a few rings.

"What's popping?"

I cringe at the ridiculous phrase. He's older than me, but still manages to maintain the maturity level of a high school jock.

"It's me," I say, knowing my distinctive voice, another gift from the explosion that crippled me, makes me easy to recognize.

"Oh." The voice on the other end sounds disappointed.

"What, were you expecting someone else?"

"Yeah, someone other than the Grim Reaper."

"Knock it off. I need some additional items in this shipment. You're going to need to write this down." I start with items on Ana's list that aren't explicitly feminine. Once Joe's got all that, I hesitate.

"Anything else?"

"Yeah." I haven't really figured out how to explain this yet. I decide to launch into the list. After the first few items, Joe stops me.

"Whoa whoa whoa what the hell is this? Have you taken up cross dressing, or do you have a lady friend staying with you?"

I wish he could see my glare through the phone. "Something like that."

"Oooooooh getting some action out in the wild. Tell me, is she into maimed guys? When you touch her with that three-fingered hand of yours, does she -"

"Shut it, Joe," I growl. "It's not like that. And even if it was, do I bother you about your peculiar tastes?"

That silences him, as if he just now conveniently remembered that I'm blackmailing him just as much as I am Mom, Dad, and the rest of the family. After a long pause, he finally speaks again.

"What was it that you said you wanted?"

I begin reading Ana's list to him again, wanting to hurl the phone at a tree every time he starts to snicker. I make him repeat the list back to me, just to make sure he got everything down right.

"I want to make something very clear to you. If you breathe a word to anyone about the woman, I'll call TMZ and tell them everything I know, starting with the dirt I have on you. Got it?"

"Yeah," he says, sounding even less happy to be having this conversation than he did when he realized his brother had called him.

"And I want three more guns," I say.

"Three? How can two not be enough?" His voice holds all the disdain he and the rest of my family have for firearms. "Are you trying to become president of the NRA?"